Logged back in after a long time but i'm pregnant so need ti

Options
Haven't logged on to MFP for sooo long because I got pregnant in March and thought what's the point!!

But having had a good think about it I really want to stay healthy during my pregnancy and even though i know i will get bigger (obviously) i can feel the weight creeping on me (fat not bump) and need advice on how many calories i should be eating as i dont want to eat for two like i kind of have done! and also what are the best things to eat.

Since March I have gained 6 lbs is this a shocking amount??

any thoughts you have towards this let me know as i appreciate all feedback

:) Laura

Replies

• slimmerme2012
    Options
    6lbs is NOTHING!
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Pleast take a look at this site. Its a mass of information I have been using whist TTC and if I rememeber correctely you should have mantince calories and up this by 300 in the last trimester.

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/nutrition/?intcmp=tnav_preg_eatingwell

They also have a US site :happy:
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the pregnancy! Always consult your doctor in regards to calories and exercise during pregnancy, but if you go to your food log, and put in "pregnancy" under "add a food" you can add "pregnancy" and it will increase your calories for the days 300 I believe, that would be on top of having your calories set at "maintenance" Hope this helps!
  • crunchymommy
    crunchymommy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Congratulations!! I'm a childbirth educator and labor doula, and I want you to know that what you eat during pregnancy is MUCH more important than how much weight you gain. Weight you put on in a healthy way will come off more easily after pregnancy, especially if you choose to breastfeed, which uses 300-500 calories per day.

Some weight gain is necessary for a woman of normal weight in order to support the necessary expansion of blood volume that occurs during the third trimester and also support a healthy placenta. Inadequate nutrition during pregnancy is associated with preterm birth and pre-eclampsia.

An excellent resource for a healthy pregnancy diet (and pregnancy nutritional needs are much different from the needs of a non-pregnant woman) is: http://www.drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/.

Feel free to message me if I can be of help.
  • brooke0206
    brooke0206 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I am pregnant as well and due in just over 2 weeks, I was told to eat your maintenence calories and then add 100 calories each trimester. so if your maintenence is say 1800 then the first trimester you would want 1900 a day, 2nd trimester 2000 a day and third trimester 2100 a day. Good luck and congrats!!