Calories burned while doing crunches?!

Options
Does anyone know how to calculate how many calories you burn while doing crunches? Abs, crunches, etc - nothing comes up if you type it in exercise. I have done a quick Google search and am coming up with nothing. Yesterday while waiting for a friend I did approx 8 mins of abs and then another 5-8 minutes of shoulder work. That's another I can't really find either. I guess I will just go with light to modersate weight lifting on that one since nothing else seems to work.

Any advice, links, etc will be appreciated!!!

Replies

• lottee1000
    lottee1000 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that each crunch burns about half a calorie, so I don't bother logging them at all... MFP includes them in the weight section, which doesn't add to your calorie burn.
  • editara13
    editara13 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Go on the exercise database and you have it in there (Sit-ups, vigorous ).

3574379.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM while doing them. Honestly I don't get a high calorie burn b/c it's hard to keep your heart rate up long enough to really burn a lot of calories.
  • dhutt2011
    dhutt2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would get a HRM monitor with a calories burned on it. That way you will know what you actually burned doing crunches etc...
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I have logged Sit Ups in cardio exercises, I found it there. I think it asks for the number of minutes performed. Its not a big burn, i.e 2 minutes vigorous is like 30 calories.... probably something like 1/4 to 1/2 a calorie per situp or something. I don't bother with logging them anymore unless I am doing crunches, situps, etc as part of a 15-30 minute routine in which I just log the whole thing as circuit training.
  • Claire739
    Claire739 Posts: 114
    Options
    search for calisthenics x
  • Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    I read somewhere that each crunch burns about half a calorie, so I don't bother logging them at all... MFP includes them in the weight section, which doesn't add to your calorie burn.

This is pretty much the same as what I was going to post but with one addition. I've noticed that a high majority of MFP users (I myself have been guilty of doing this), unnecessarily log certain forms of exercise.

By this I mean that they log housecleaning, stretching, Lawn mowing, basic daily activity in general. Its important to log exercise but activities such as the one I just mentioned fall under your daily calorie burn based on the activity level you have entered in your fitness profile, if you logging basic functions like those your going to have an inaccurate burn ratio for the day.
  • DelightfullyWifed
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I somehow missed the sit-ups exercise option in the exercise tracker. Looks like 8 minutes of abs is 83 calories. Not a ton but i will take it, especially when I did alot yesterday. I don't have a calorie counter yet, maybe for Christmas I will get maybe one.

I would agree with the post about tracking everyday activities - I lump it in as your normal daily calorie burn. Crunches though for me are not normal so I definitely am counting it!

Thank again!
  • vagabondgoddess
    vagabondgoddess Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The sit up wont work for crunches. Those are two different exercises.

According to cosmopolitan if you do crunches for 5 minutes it's about 40 Calories.