Exercise that is not exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,241 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercise routines. I do them all the time and they can really give you a great workout in 20 minutes or so. I have some stuff on it in my blog here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/rileysowner
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    How about some of the family videos out there? The ones that focus on kids being active? All I can think of is "Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes, Knees and toes" where you bend and touch your toes, etc.

Also, playing tag in the yard will have you running in circles, or kicking a ball around playing family soccer. Or playing games like Red Light Green Light in the yard. You can do a dance party with the kids and play fun music and dance around for 20 minutes.

Depending on the ages/sizes of your kids, bike riding is always a hit. Or take them out for a walk/hike somewhere.

It's a great example to the kids to stay active and be with them, getting them active! You'll find a way.
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    My five year old granddaughter loves to play freeze tag. We use pool noodles to tag with so we don't have to get so close and risk banging heads. I try to tag all the kids before they can unfreeze each other to up the intensity :)
  • marquesajen
    marquesajen Posts: 641
    Options
    Bike rides! So much fun, possibly scenic, and you get a nice cool breeze! Dancing is also great. I've been using a Crunch Gym dance fitness video on streaming netflix, but I also just started dancing around the house until I feel the burn! Head to the mall, zoo, or museum and walk the WHOLE thing! It's fun, but a good amount of cardio is involved.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

Okay... that's awesome!
  • autiemommy
    autiemommy Posts: 238
    Options
    I have 3 kids as well and i find the time somewhere throughout the day wether its nap time or they are watching a movie or they play in the same room i work out in. Also we have the wii and they think that the zumba and boxing and all that are games so they join in..
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    - Find a park that's a 20-30 minute walk (each way) from your house, and then get silly with the kids when you get there (chasing them, climbing on the equipment, and other park-y things) - For me, my 2 year old will happily walk/run about that distance, but I often carry her on my shoulders... when I have my 2 year old niece as well I'll pop them both in the wagon and pull them there.

- Most outdoor kids games are pretty active. Tag is super fun! Climbing trees, hiking up and down ditches (flowers! snails!) or through treed areas can all be fun.

- Are you within a 1/2 hour walk of the stores you need to go to? Walk with the kids!

- When the little ones are engrossed in doing their own thing and don't need/want help, jog in place for as long as they'll allow. I can usually get 15 minutes at a time.

- Not sure if this is applicable to your situation, but for me, when my daughter is napping and when my husband gets home from work I have the opportunity to do an actual workout - in my case that's usually busting my *kitten* on the treadmill in our basement for 30-60 minutes.

- You can lunge and squat your way around the house, and a quick set of pushups can be done in just a few minutes.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Also if you have a dog I'm sure the kiddies would love to come with you whilst you take it on walks!