What to eat/drink at an all day festival & buffet?

Options
FemmeAndi
FemmeAndi Posts: 107 Member
This saturday there is a festival in my hometown. I like to drink a couple beer in the afternoon and there is a beautiful potluck supper where everyone from town brings homemade dinners and desserts. You pay 8 dollars and can take what you want! And everything looks so good!
Also there is a band playing at night and will be drinking and having some fun. But light beer is like 110 cals and I usually have about 6 of these!!!
What do I do???? I don't want to skip out on it and I do want to taste the yummy foods. Any suggestions?
Do you think I should kinda skip on breakfast and lunch... maybe have a 90 cal yogurt for breakfast and another 100 cal bar for lunch? Or is this a bad idea?

Replies

• babydull
    babydull Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I would relax, enjoy yourself, try to make good choices and get a decent work-out in before you go (i.e, before you drink). Have fun!
  • smrtcar
    smrtcar Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Take the next couple of days and exercise to build up a calorie reserve to spend at the festival.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Bad idea... skipping meals early will cause you to eat a ton later. Try to eat a filling breakfast, high in protein with some fiber and a bit of healthy fats. Example: cook 1/2c whole oats and stir in 1tbl of almond or peanut butter & a couple eggs (or egg whites), and maybe a small serving of fruit. Then when the buffet rolls around, choose only a few of your favorite things and watch your portions.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Cut down the beers (empty calories, and alcohol is not good for your liver), have 1 or 2. Try to grab water instead.

Enjoy different type of the food, but try them in small bite size, then you got to taste them all but not eating too much.

Don't skip breakfast, go light on lunch. Drink lots of water.
  • sundance2032
    sundance2032 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I would say that this one day is not going to hurt you to bad, but I would say not to skip breakfast or lunch, going lighter is a great idea but not to much lighter. If your body is used to 300 cals for those meals and you cut way back you will more likely way over eat at dinner. It will be fine to taste all the food and drink. drink a ton of water before hand so that your salt intake is not way over. :)

Have a blast and don't weigh yourself for 3 days you will be fine. don't stress this one day. :)
  • RunningMom09
    RunningMom09 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents: I would get in a good cardio workout in the morning for a calorie buffer, eat a healthy breakfast, a light lunch (like a green salad with some lean protein), then enjoy the rest of the day. You can try a lot of the dishes/desserts at the pot-luck, just take small portions:smile:

This sounds like a special occasion, not a weekly occurance. Sometimes we all need a little splurge:drinker:
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    This saturday there is a festival in my hometown. I like to drink a couple beer in the afternoon and there is a beautiful potluck supper where everyone from town brings homemade dinners and desserts. You pay 8 dollars and can take what you want! And everything looks so good!
    Also there is a band playing at night and will be drinking and having some fun. But light beer is like 110 cals and I usually have about 6 of these!!!
    What do I do???? I don't want to skip out on it and I do want to taste the yummy foods. Any suggestions?
    Do you think I should kinda skip on breakfast and lunch... maybe have a 90 cal yogurt for breakfast and another 100 cal bar for lunch? Or is this a bad idea?

It sounds amazing actually - you never get anything like that in London (well at least not where I live!)

I would suggest eating light and clean in the days before (don't go under your calories but maybe cut back on carbs) just eat lots of fresh stuff - veggies and salad. Also make sure you work out in the days leading up and the days after.

Drink lots of water before m during and after but enjoy yourself on the actual day. Have a few beers, just don't go too crazy!

Try to make the best possible choices - just because the food ALL looks so good doesn't mean you have to eat it ALL LOL

Have a fab time