You know you were born in the 50's and 60's if..............

Replies

• JamieG8991
    JamieG8991 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Saturday morning cartoons were awesome!!! Oh, and then we got to watch American Bandstand!!!
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    When I was 10, I could go to the corner market and buy my dad cigarettes.
    You rode your bike without a helmet.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    I am only 26, but my dad tells me stories all the time. He is 50 years old.

He learned in school that by the year 2000, all telephone booths would act as a transporter, so you could go in one telephone booth, press a button and end up at another telephone booth through "science"

8-tracks were the newest device

Cruising up and down the main street of whatever town you lived in on a Friday night, or just went to the drive in, where they played commercials like those seen on Grease(the dancing popcorn and soda)

Wearing ripped jeans was not a fashion trend, so his mom had to patch up his pants with iron on patches.

He told me its was a complete pain trying to fix any mistakes you made on the typewriter, and when the electric typewriter came out, it was like a god send.

Him and I still watch the old shows that come on TV Land, and we always watch the Twilight Zone marathons, and he always remembers everyone one of them it seems

He also says he remembers when channel 26 first aired, and it was an "independent channel", so whenever the president came on to give a speech, there was now a station that didn't air it, so you could actually watch something else
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Who remmbers the good TV westerns like Cheyenne, Sugarfoot, Have Gun Wil Travel, Bronco, The Rebel?

Or great family shows like Leave it to Beaver, My Three Sons, Donna Reed and Father Knows Best?

The only Remote Control was whoever the youngest child was and the only one that used it was Dad.
  • Telling everyone to be quiet while you turned on the tape recorder to tape your favourite song on the radio.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Thewatcher_66 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Telling everyone to be quiet while you turned on the tape recorder to tape your favourite song on the radio.

That's a good one.
  • Thewatcher_66
    When you were a kid playing with a neighbor's kid, you had to be home on time, if you showed up after that gas light popped on, you broke curfew. lol
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Telling everyone to be quiet while you turned on the tape recorder to tape your favourite song on the radio.

This!
  • I can't count the songs I had on tape with my mothers voice in the background. Good times!!
  • Thewatcher_66
    Every Saturday afternoon, karate/kung fu movies on one of the independent networks.
  • Playing hide and seek without parental guidance!
  • Going out in the morning and only coming home when we were hungry. Once fed it was back outside for our next big adventure.
  • Using our own imagination.
  • Thewatcher_66
    8 quarters at the video arcade could last you about 4 hours.
  • Thewatcher_66
    Growing up in the '80's, a fear of nuclear war.
  • 8 quarters at the video arcade could last you about 4 hours.
    You got that right!
  • People with tattoo's were real Bad *kitten*!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Trick or Treating (without any parents) until 9 PM.

Going to McDonald's once a month.

Hand me down jeans were actually cool.
  • Thewatcher_66
    You act a fool in the store when you were a kid, brace yourself for a real good a## whipping when you got home. lol.
  • dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    The Brady Bunch
    Gilligan's Island
    Hong Kong Phuey
    MASH

Getting paddled at school and then again when you get home
    Not being able to breath in the car bcuz both parents smoked

Oh, I could go on forever with this one :)