Sedentary or Lightly Active?

Options
I'm not sure what I should be putting in my profile as my activity level. When I first started I put it sedentary because I'm not on my feet all day, I don't have a job that requires physical activity, and I wasn't exercising. Now, I exercise a minimum of 3 times per week for an hour each time. Should I change my activity level to lightly active? It changes my calorie intake by about 200 calories a day. I don't want to sabotage myself.

Replies

• RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I'd leave it as is and log your exercise.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    there's a bit where you put in how many work outs you do, change that and leave the lifestyle bit as sedentary
  • lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Options
    Do you add your workouts to your exercise diary? If so, then stay at sedentary because you are already getting extra back, and by changing to light you would be getting back double...
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, I'd leave it if you are adding your exercise in. You don't want to take credit for it twice.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Log your workouts.

If you are a nurse, basically on your feet all day - you are walking many miles. If you are a construction worker, you are not only walking miles, you are also lifting weights.

I'm an engineer - I sit on my larger-than--life backside from 6am to 3:30pm every day. The only walking I do, is to my car, and to the bathroom. This is the definition of seditary.

But, I'm up at every morning at 4:30 and hitting the treadmill - and those calories get logged. On weekends, no treadmill - hence no calories to log. And the weight STILL comes off. Thanks MFP.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that the difference between Light and Seditary is pretty marginal.

I don't work on my feet AT ALL, but go for walks and swim with my son a few days a week...but DON'T log those...I only log my focused exercises.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't sweat it much. Check out this thread to understand why your initial calorie target isn't all that important:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/172515-frantic-about-adhering-to-the-right-calorie-intake-read-t