For woman ONLY - personal

Options
Does anyone experience a "heavy" period the first 2 days? Does anyone know of any natural ways to reduce the "flow"? I heard that exercising, diet (reduce sugar) and ving. cider can help? Any suggestions will be appreciated! :)

Replies

• lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    After I had my tubes tied and stopped using birth control, I experienced some major problems. My gynecologist recommended a regular dose of ibuprofen. I start as soon as I know my TOM is near, and I take 800 mg 3 times every day until it's over. It has been a godsend!
  • SunshineAndLove
    SunshineAndLove Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Bump! Would love to know :-S
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    Yea, I'd also like to know.
  • AnaBananaChan
    Options
    @michelle2808

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this! My first three-four days are quite similar and I have not thought of any natural or medical ways to prevent it, because I assume it is normal. I'm really looking forward to what people will have to offer.
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is an option for you, but I have the birth control implant in my arm called Implanon. have had it for 6 months, paid $30 for it and since, not one period, cramp or moody outburst. TOM is gone for me- I would reccomend it to everyone
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    not saying to not listen to your doctor, if she said take ibuprofen fine, but ibuprofen, even just slighltly over the recommended dose and even only a couple of times a month can lead to very serious kidney issues. again not saying don't do it, ive been known to up the dose as well, just be careful.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, but I figured it was just because my body changed after having a 2nd kid and turning 40...hmmm....love to know...
  • Frannswaz
    Frannswaz Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have found that Advil (americam brand ibuprofen) works to reduce the 'flow' plus I drink loads of raspberry leaf tea regular tea makes it worse . I take the minimum daily dose.
  • sweetlyrics
    Options
    I was living over seas for 2 years with a Vegan family and my period changed from one that was heavy for 3 of 6 days to one that was short and lighter and lasted only 3 days. Diet plays a HUGE part!
  • natijade
    natijade Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've had implanon since my daughter was born and my periods aren't completely gone but they're drastically reduced. Before my pregnancy my periods were absolute agony and seriously heavy but since the implant I get about 3 hours of cramps a 2 days or so before i come on and that's it. And they're so light I barely notice them!
  • lkwalker71
    lkwalker71 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem. My first two days were usually spent in the bed, several times the only relief I could find was Motrin and a heating pad. They ended up doing a hysterectomy last year and found endrometriosis. Hope you can find something to help.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm the same... 2 days of VERY heavy flow. I've changed my diet over the past 4 months, and am now exercising more, but.... it's still the same. Not sure what to do to lessen it. It has been this way since I stopped the pill a number of years ago.
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Birth control pills usually helps...however, I've been told that there really isn't much you can do to control that part naturally. I would be very very leery taking ibuprofen or things like that. If the flow is out of the realm of normal then get to your Dr right away. For the most part, this is the precise reason why they call it the "curse"!
  • Frannswaz
    Frannswaz Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Diet is absolutely key I'm a veggie too - a little fish no other meat no cows milk. When I eat crappy before TOM and don't exercise I have a crappy time. Having two small fibroids means a longer period so the anvil is good because of the risk of anemeia but because of risk to kidney and liver minimum dose. I'm new to this heavier flow too so I learning as I go....lol.
  • naomirook3
    Options
    My daughter has issues now to, but I worry about cancer. Is there a risk?
  • brown_eyed_girl_06
    Options
    *BUMP*
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Yes, I just deal with it. I'm not on birth control and love not having to deal with the side effects of that. I'd never take birth control just to control my period!
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    For something natural: I find that sometimes Raspberry Tea helps

Cut out caffiene, sugar, get plenty of sleep drink lots of water, blah blah blah. The usual. But honestly, this is how my body is now for TOM and sometimes there is nothing I can do to help.
  • mjhuff1121
    mjhuff1121 Posts: 112
    Options
    I wonder how many men look at this simply because of the title :laugh:

Anyways.... I can't help, since, I'm on Loestrin 24, and haven't had a period for 2 years (today!) which is kinda... weird. Lets just say I'm not looking forward to going OFF the pill, and told my husband when we decide to try having kids, he better get me pregnant REAL fast! :blushing:

Sorry I'm not more help, but couldn't resist the first sentence!
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Good question! After having my tubes done years ago, it got heavier and more painful, then as my hormones started changing then more problems, and now I have a cervical polyp my doc says doesn't need removed, the bleeding is so heavy that I have to stay home from work for 3 to 5 days of my period.I'm a teachers assistant, and there's no way I can just walk out of class every hour. I have tried cutting out caffeine, watching sugar, and eating healthy, it has helped, plus working out regular has helped too. I'm hoping that It is manageable by the time school starts again, as I am still just subbing so I have the flexibility to stay home. VERY frustrating.