Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Weighing In

MellyG426
MellyG426 Posts: 91 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys. I was wondering how often all of you weigh in? I have a habit of getting on the scale everyday in the morning. I know that body weight fluctuates from day to day, and its said to only weigh yourself once a week, same time each week. I know that my habit is obsessive and I base my day on the number, which is NOT good. Any ideas on how to change my habit?!?

Replies

• MellyG426
    Hey guys. I was wondering how often all of you weigh in? I have a habit of getting on the scale everyday in the morning. I know that body weight fluctuates from day to day, and its said to only weigh yourself once a week, same time each week. I know that my habit is obsessive and I base my day on the number, which is NOT good. Any ideas on how to change my habit?!?
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,123 Member
    It IS hard not to weigh everyday... it will ONLY DISCOURAGE YOU.... if it goes up... you'll get depressed. I always weigh myself on Wednesdays before work... before eating or drinking anything. How about you try "checking in" twice a week. One day you weigh in .... the other one you take your measurements. Good luck!
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    I only weigh in once a week. :flowerforyou:
  • The scale is a hard thing to avoid. I, myself, get on it every day. It is hard not too. On good days it can motivate me to have another. On bad days it can go one of 2 ways...1. be a reminder to have a good day, 2. bum me out to the point that I dont bother to eat well or exercise. Its hard. I would suggest making yourself a goal to only get on it 1 time a week for a month. See how it goes, get yourself into a good routine that you feel good about. Have your husband(boyfriend?) hide it from you until your weigh in day. Water weight is a crazy thing and it can be known to fluctuate as much as 10 pounds for some!

Hope this helps even a little! There are alot of us like you out there so dont feel bad! Make it a goal to deal with it somehow!

And since you have lost alot of weight before, you know that it didnt come on overnight and its not going to come off overnight!

Good Luck!

Amy
  • I Weigh myself daily. When I weigh in I keep track of my lowest number and I expect a three pound range from day to day. If I go over that three pound range, then I try to mix things up. Otherwise it's just water weight to me.
  • Pick a day and time (mine is Wednesday morning too!) to weigh in, and when you are finished, literally move the scale to a cabinet or high shelf where it is "off limits" except for your weigh-in day. You could even put a sign on it (don't touch!) to remind yourself if you need to! Hope this helps! :wink:
  • majic
    majic Posts: 88 Member
    I weigh ib once a week every week without fail....Even when I don't want to. I pick saturday/sunday as my weigh in day.
  • nightangelstars
    nightangelstars Posts: 337 Member
    I usually weigh in a couple times a week, depending on circumstances. If I go home and I think I may have damaged my own efforts . . . I force myself to step on just to see how bad it is, so I know how much harder I need to work. If I think I'm doing well I weigh myself more often because that's encouraging and it makes me happy. :happy: But, usually, a couple times a week, whenever's most convenient, first thing in the morning. Best time!

I think after a while you'll learn to feel good based on your food choices rather than that number on the scale, and that's when it starts really translating into behavior . . . but that's just me. And of course, the scale is still the (semi) final say on my success! :blushing:
  • MellyG426
    Thanks everyone! I have definately gotten some feedback that might just work for me. It means a lot that there are people at MFP that take the time to answer each others questions and are there for support. I think this is the best thing I ever did, joining this site!
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Once a week... I always want to weigh more, especially when I have had a really good week. But I just MAKE myself wait. My day is Friday morn... I used to do it on Sat, but if I do anything fun and exciting all week it is usually Fri/Sat (and usually includes lots of food and little exercise) so it throws my whole week off. So I weigh before all that fun stuff and it seems to be doing well for me. Since I started on here in July there have only been two weeks that I have been "UP" on the scale!!! Good luck...make yourself wait.
  • LifeChanges42
    LifeChanges42 Posts: 636 Member
    I weigh myself twice a day (i think it is compulsive). Once in the morning and once at night. I think it adds to my poor self-esteem. It is a cycle I am trying to break, right along with binge eating. I do see a big difference from morning to night..... I usually gain 3-6 lbs during the day.

I am thinking about weighing myself only in the mornings.... Then I am going to try every other day and try to eventually get it down to twice a week.

I have been weighing myself twice a day ever since I was pregnant with my 11 (soon to be 12) year old.
    :ohwell:
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    I weigh myself wekkly on Monday mornings along with taking my measurements.
This discussion has been closed.