CLEANSING!!

Options
Does colon cleansing have a part in weight loss? I weighed in on the 25th and I weighed myself this morning and it said I have lost 6lbs?? I have been exercising and not meeting my goal.. I'm confused.. "/

Replies

• daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Looks like it's working! Go with it..

Actually cleansing has a lot to do with it. There can be a backup of fecal matter in the colon; once cleared out you're weight will go down. Once you've cleansed, you shoud maintain by eating lots of fresh fruits and vegetables (preferrably leafy green). It'll keep your pipes running smoothly.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I have heard it can be used as a jump start in weight loss. What exactly did you use to do your colon cleansing?
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Well, it removes a lot of stored up gunk from your intestines. So, it's probably not really fat loss, but it's just junk that was in your belly weighing you down.
  • angeemantell
    angeemantell Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    yes cleansing can def aid in weight loss. Depending on the cleanse it not only cleanses your colon but detoxify's your liver and organs.. Great way to start any weight loss system!
  • laurad8911
    laurad8911 Posts: 99
    Options
    i wanna do a colon cleanse! how do you do it?
  • carolinefaith
    carolinefaith Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Yes I did a colon cleanse in the beginning of my weight loss journey. IF you ate a lot of junk before and are eating healthy now you WILL keep that weight off! The cleanse is amazing but only if you stick to eating healthy. I did a 14 day cleanse and I really like how gentle it was so that I really could keep the weight off.

BY the way...I used Renew Life's 14 day Organic Total Body Cleanse
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Its a good way to jump start weight loss and get your mind mentally prepared for eating better. Its like a clean slate for your insides. Most often its 75% water weight, so you will probably gain a couple of those pounds back. But....if you continue to eat well and exercise it may only be a pound or two. :)
  • laurad8911
    Options
    can someone point me to some resources for how to do one? i like the sound of that 14 day one....are there directions anywhere?
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have heard of cleanses where it totally detoxs your body so you no longer crave the junk... ANy ideas as i would love to do one but still want it to be healthy and not harsh on my body
  • carolinefaith
    Options
    Yes go to your local health store and ask for the one I did. It was the first cleanse I did. The directions are all on the box- I am pretty sure I took 2 pills in the morning and 2 at night. It was well worth it!!
  • anjarrett2
    anjarrett2 Posts: 10
    Options
    laurad8911 - I get an all natural 30 day cleanser from the nutritional store, the name of it, I'm not sure because it is at home. It is made from natural things, so there is no cramping of the stomach or anything.. I can take a picture of it and post it when I get off, if you would like. It runs $17.99 per bottle!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I am sorry, but the only thing you need to do to "cleanse" is eat clean. If you were to actually have impacted fecal matter in your colon you would be very ill. A lot of products, like psyllium, mold to the shape of you colon and are gooey and may give you the impression that it is fecal matter, but it is not.

Any laxative product may help to move out more slowly digested food quicker, but it doesn't clean out an accumulation of old material.
  • laurad8911
    Options
    http://www.renewlife.com/organic-total-body-cleanse.html#reviews

thoughts on this one anybody? thinking about ordering it...
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    NO, there's absolutely, positively no medical science behind using "cleanses" for weight loss. There's a lot of opinion, a lot of rumor, and a lot of false statements, that's about it.

I've spoken with a gastroenterologist on this matter, and he confirmed. His words were (I'm paraphrasing) "If you have stuff stuck to the walls of your colon and intestines, then you're sick and you need professional help immediately, otherwise they should be pink, slimy, and waste free except for waste passing through." In other words, all you're doing with a cleanse is removing stuff that would be leaving on it's own anyway. And in the process you're removing beneficial microfauna (bacteria) and dehydrating yourself. As to the idea of removing "toxins" from your body, that's generally not the case. Eating healthy, getting your fiber and vitamins and minerals are really all you need to do, unless you're prepping for a medical procedure, you generally don't need a cleanse or a colonic.
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    NO, there's absolutely, positively no medical science behind using "cleanses" for weight loss. There's a lot of opinion, a lot of rumor, and a lot of false statements, that's about it.

I've spoken with a gastroenterologist on this matter, and he confirmed. His words were (I'm paraphrasing) "If you have stuff stuck to the walls of your colon and intestines, then you're sick and you need professional help immediately, otherwise they should be pink, slimy, and waste free except for waste passing through." In other words, all you're doing with a cleanse is removing stuff that would be leaving on it's own anyway. And in the process you're removing beneficial microfauna (bacteria) and dehydrating yourself. As to the idea of removing "toxins" from your body, that's generally not the case. Eating healthy, getting your fiber and vitamins and minerals are really all you need to do, unless you're prepping for a medical procedure, you generally don't need a cleanse or a colonic.

indeed. A lot of our nutrient absorption happens in the intestines (which is why people with undiagnosed celiac can become mal-nourished -i.e. their intestinal lining is unable to do it's job because of the allergy) so my point is, let your intestines be, unless you have a diagnosed medical concern that requires it.
  • carolinefaith
    Options
    http://www.renewlife.com/organic-total-body-cleanse.html#reviews

thoughts on this one anybody? thinking about ordering it...

I think you should do it...this is the one I did and it really did help me out. I felt so much better after doing this cleanse. It really did clean me out and help with my new diet. I really believe it is good for you. I asked my doctor and he said even doing it every 6 months truely is good for your colon. There are so many toxins from unhealthy food and doing this cleanse will get the crap out ;) haha
  • andieb75
    andieb75 Posts: 26
    Options
    I just started Nature's Secret® Ultimate Cleanse last night. So i took two pills last night and two this morning. How long before things begin to move...alot?
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    yes cleansing can def aid in weight loss. Depending on the cleanse it not only cleanses your colon but detoxify's your liver and organs.. Great way to start any weight loss system!

Exactly what toxins are being cleansed and how (specifically)?

It is normal to have food, in various stages of digestion in your digestive tract. This is how your digestive tract works. When you "cleanse" it artificially, you remove this. Yes, the number on the scale goes down, but you have NOT lost any fat, and will not lose any fat as a result of this procedure. As soon as your body has had time to return to normal, the weight will come back.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I just rely on my kidneys and liver to removed toxins. Pooping isn't fat loss.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    If I want a colon cleanse, I just eat something with milk in it (since I'm allergic).

Thoroughly cleans me out for under $2.

Save your money. As soon as you're full of poo again, all of your "weight loss" from the cleanse will go away.