Can't get on board with eating MORE calories...

Options
1235»

Replies

• start121
    start121 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have had personal experience of this. When losing weight we are constantly told to just cut down, so when someone tells you to increase your intake to lose weight it just goes against everything we know - right? Well, I worked with a dietician and a nutritionalist a while back to get proper information about diet and nutrition for weight loss. For 3 months I recorded everything I ate, was uber healthy - not a drop of sugar in any form passed my lips and trained 4-5 times a week. What was my amazing achievement?? 2lb loss!!! We went through my diary and the dietician increased my calorie intake by 400 cals a day... mainly through carbs and dairy. I had to have brekkie, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and snack. I felt like all I did was eat!!! 3 months later... 22lbs off!!!!

It works. I've recently gone back to a dietician to get more information about weightloss with PCOS and there was no mention of restricting carbs (although I do find it helps my energy levels) but more focus on increasing activity levels for it. Also the calorie limit she suggested was pretty much the same as suggested by MFP so I would definitely be trying to get close to it.

I think with all the info from everyone else here you have probably all the bases covered now. Good luck with it.
  • JodiHop
    JodiHop Posts: 25
    Options
    Bump...
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm loving the way you guys are explaining this. I think when I have more time (I'm supposed to be working right now, lol) I will look back over this. It's FINALLY laid out in a way I can understand! I know it's simple and basic to understand but for some reason I could couldn't seem to figure it out and now it's all starting to make sense. Thank you to all who took the time to explain it :)
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Me too.

Thinking about eating back exercise cals/eating more than 1300 gives me anxiety, which then leads to binges (Though I've only binged once in the past 6 weeks, which is a HUGE improvement for me)

I do have an eating disorder, so just try to eat the minimum of what your body actually needs before you get into a routine. And make sure to fuel your body properly so that it can recover after workouts!!
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I see there's been a lot of responses already, but I just wanted to say that my initial question is "Are you EATING 1200 calories or are you NETTING 1200 calories." Therein lies the difference for me. I have PCOS and I eat around 2000 calories a day, but my net is usually around 1500 after exercise, sometimes lower on a good exercise day. I've lost 70lbs so far, and maintained over the past month without strict counting and exercise. With PCOS is more a matter of WHAT you eat and now so much a HOW MUCH you eat rather than just saying it's harder to lose. If you check out the PCOS threads and groups, you'll see that many (not all) have more success by lowering carbs and raising protein levels. Trust me that macros are just as important as calories in the weightloss equation.

Good luck to you.
  • lovinbeinold
    Options
    I have found that if I go up and down in calories I lose best. I did best with weight loss (which was not my main goal btw) when eating between 1300 and 1700 calories a day.

Also, I do not believe it is a simple matter of calories in/calories out. I also seem to do best if I eat nutrition packed foods. I can eat 1800 calories of whole grain foods, fruits, veggies, a bit of meat (not much), and lose weight, but if I eat 1500 of fast foods and dessert, I don't do as well.

I have wondered why. I think it could be that the human body works more efficiently on nutrition packed foods and a balanced diet.

Another thing I am doing is I stopped pursuing weight loss over a year ago. I decided that I was tired of the roller coaster and was going to find a way to work on my health and feel good. I went on a low glycemic food plan and lost a bit of weight. Then I went on an anti inflammatory eating plan and lost even more.

But I am treating weight loss as a side effect. The weeks I lose, that's a real happy side effect. The weeks I don't register a loss, I don't get upset or worry or fuss about it, because I am feeling better than I did a year ago. I figure that weight loss should be a side effect to the pursuit of health, not the end in itself. That way I feel better while working on my health and am much less likely to have the roller coaster thing of gain and loss over time, because this pusuit of health is a commitment for the rest of my life, not just a weight loss thing.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Low GI foods, have no advantage over high GI foods. Below is a thread you may want to read.

Those studies weren't referencing people with diseases that are affected by insulin (diabetics/women with PCOS) Have studies been done on that?
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Reading thru this post reminded me that I have not re-calculated my BMR since losing 14 lbs on MFP. Now that I am a bit smaller, I don't need quite as many calories for my BMR. Thank goodness for exercise, because I really like to EAT!
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Wen37
    Wen37 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Bump. Good info in here.
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    "OK, this will be long. Please read it if you are confused. Disclaimer: I am not a dietician or a doctor, just a successful loser and maintainer, who has consulted both doctors and dieticians.

Question #1:

Should I eat all my calories?

Yes. MFP is already figuring a deficit for you to lose weight. This deficit is based on what you need to eat based on your everyday activity, not counting exercise. In the end, it's all about "net calories" (you can view yours under reports)

Example: you need to eat 2,000 calories to maintain your current weight (random number)
    MFP will tell you to eat 1,500 to lose one pound per week (500x7=3500=one pound loss).

Let's say you exercise, and burn 500 additional calories.
    UH-OH, now you are at a 1,000 calorie a day deficit. You need 2,000 calories to maintian, are already restricted to 1500, so now your net calories are a 1,000 a day. This is starvation central. Your body, which is very good at keeping you alive, will store and save calories. You WILL stop losing weight. You WILL want to throw your scale out the window.

Eat your exercise calories. At least eat most of them.

Question #2:
    I'm eating 1200 calories, I feel like crap and I'm not losing weight. What gives?

Answer:
    Run, don't walk, to "tools" and use the BMR calculator. Please, please, please, eat at least your BMR calories every day. You might lose weight more slowly, but you will still lose, and you will not longer feel a sudden urge to fall over every time you do, well, anything.

Question #3:
    I'm doing "everything right" and the scale won't move.

Answer #1: The scale is the devil. Step away from the scale. Buy a tape measure, notice how your clothes are (probably) fitting better. Muscle is more dense than fat, and takes up less space on your body. More muscle on your body will make the scale freeze or (gasp) move upward.

Answer #2: You're not being honest. In order for this to work, you must record every morsel of food that goes in your body. Also, if you ride a stationary bike for 30 minutes and barely break a sweat and can still chatter on your cell phone (OK, that's my personal gym pet peeve) then you're probably not working "vigorously". Don't overestimate your exercise calories. (this was a big mistake I made in the past.)

Answer #3: Your body might be re-adjusting. How you feel is the most important mark of progress. It's very easy to fixate on numbers, but feeling better really should be its own reward.

Question #4:
    So, if I'm eating my exercise calories, what's the point of exercise?

Answer: (warning: extremely opinionated answer ahead)
    You don't. You can lose weight through diet alone. But, then you will be skinny and flabby. Is a model skinnier than me? OH, YES! Is she healthier than me? probably NOT. She couldn't survive the hour-long spin class that I take three times a week. Trust me. Her skin is a mess, she smokes, and she looks like crap in person. (this is a generalization. I don't hate models, but this is their lifestyle. . .I used to be a "dresser" at shows, and I saw a lot of "behind the scenes" stuff.
    "

Love it. Yay for being sensible!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Low GI foods, have no advantage over high GI foods. Below is a thread you may want to read.

Those studies weren't referencing people with diseases that are affected by insulin (diabetics/women with PCOS) Have studies been done on that?

Sorry, I missed that point. Sorry about that.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Me too.

Thinking about eating back exercise cals/eating more than 1300 gives me anxiety, which then leads to binges (Though I've only binged once in the past 6 weeks, which is a HUGE improvement for me)

I do have an eating disorder, so just try to eat the minimum of what your body actually needs before you get into a routine. And make sure to fuel your body properly so that it can recover after workouts!!

Instead of tracking your weight, track your body fat. Weight can make you look good in clothes, but body fat is what make you look good naked. Below is examples of women who gained weight and look better and skinnier. Unfortunately, women take too much weight loss advice and stock in hollywood and less in science.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat&page=2#posts-5441852

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • psuLemon
    Options
    BTW, here is the results of what happens when you break that mental barrier and start training and eating smart. Stephanie is 36 years old and eats 1800+ calories a day. She lost 4% body fat in a month! That equates to being a lot skinnier despite the 1 pound of weight loss.

"I just wanted to thank you for your help. You helped me a few months back and I just wanted to give you an update on my progress. 12 weeks ago I started at 154 and 28% bf. I got my bf remeasured last Friday and it was 24%. But I only lost 1 pound. It is crazy to me but I have learned to ignore the scale. You were right that keeping consistent and not giving up my body would finally adjust.

Thanks again for your help!

Stephanie"
  • aiwich
    aiwich Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • malmaimez
    Options
    How come this site is telling me to eat only 1270 net cal per day then? D:
  • ImRadical4Jesus
    ImRadical4Jesus Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mikaabad
    mikaabad Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started with MFP on Feb. 9 and after a month I lost 5 lbs. However, I haven't lost any more weight since then. My goal set by MFP was 1200 kcal/day but most of the time I eat less than that amount. I tried getting my BMR and TDEE and found out I should be eating between 1226 - 1400 kcal/day.

I initially thought eating less would help me lose more but I guess that was wrong. I'll try eating more starting now :)