When should I stop eating?

Options
Im a nurse and I work 2nd shift, 2p- 1230a. I usually get a break around 5-6, but that leaves me on my feet for another 6 hours and I don't go to bed until around 2 am. Ive tried having a snack around 10 if I get the chance to curve my appetite but I am STARVING when I get home. Something that I think has caused me to do some late night snacking which = lbs lbs lbs! Because all I crave is cheese and carbs! Do you think if I have some grapes when I get home with a light string cheese, its still ok? or a yogurt?

Replies

• MellyG426
    MellyG426 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Im a nurse and I work 2nd shift, 2p- 1230a. I usually get a break around 5-6, but that leaves me on my feet for another 6 hours and I don't go to bed until around 2 am. Ive tried having a snack around 10 if I get the chance to curve my appetite but I am STARVING when I get home. Something that I think has caused me to do some late night snacking which = lbs lbs lbs! Because all I crave is cheese and carbs! Do you think if I have some grapes when I get home with a light string cheese, its still ok? or a yogurt?
  • destiny_206
    destiny_206 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my trainer said to avoid carbs after 6pm, and I am a late night person too, A small snack of fine, fruits are always good. But yeah avoid carbs.
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You will get a lot of different answers to this question but in my research online, reading books and talking to my MD I have found that " it doesn't matter how late you eat but how many calories you are eating".

You want to maintain at least 1200 calories per day to prevent your body from going into starvation mode. You also want to complete some sort of exercie to enhance your weight loss. As long as you are not going over board, what time you eat isn't a real factor. You will hear people say don't eat after 8:00, 9:00, 10:00; don't eat three hours before bed and so many more but when you work nights your breakfast my be at 7:00pm like mine is :bigsmile: .

There are times that I eat just before bed so I don't wake up starving, everyone is different but, I can say that I'm still losing weight.

So basically, what you want to do is use good judgement and eat sensible, stay at 1200 calories, exercise and eat healthy.

Also, never go to bed hungry because it can cause unnecessary snacking.