What and Why?

Options
kiminoo
kiminoo Posts: 12 Member
Everyone seems to have a nutrient they watch more than others. I make sure I get enough fiber, my sister keeps her sodium down, my hubby is all about vitamin D, and my mother-in-law swears by drinking apple cider vinegar. What is yours and Why?

Replies

• Hoteffinmess
    Hoteffinmess Posts: 121
    Options
    I watch the sodium and fiber. High blood pressure runs in my family and I am VERY fortunate to be in the normal range, despite being obese. Maintaining lower sodium intake helps with that. I also watch my fiber because I have a fussy digestive system and without more than adequate fiber, the works get gummed up, so to speak. :)
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have to keep my sodium low for my blood pressure. I also have to watch my carbs - carbs for me from fruit and veg are fine, but I have to keep away from breads.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I try not to go over my sodium or I will retain water.
  • Stephiede
    Stephiede Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Carbs are my enemy. I love bread, rice, and potatoes. I have to watch those more than anything. They go straight to my thighs, lol.
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Sodium, without question. While crucially important for neuromusclar function, sodium also plays a big (and important) role in how our bodies hold onto water. And counter to something I've seen posted on MFP many times, retained water is not in our muscles; it is in our blood plasma and the fluids around our tissues (interstitial fluid). Excess retained water (which is retained to preserve osmotic balance and ionic concentrations for neuromuscular function) leads to two practical issues. (1) Increased volume of blood plasma = increased BP. I'm hypertensive (though close to getting off my meds and being declared to have a healthy BP), so this is a give. (2) Retained water affects body weight and masks real loss of weight due to body fat and/or healthy weight gain due to added lean muscle tissue. Keeping my sodium under 2000 mg a day (under 1700 most days) helps me see real results with weight loss and improve my BP.
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Protein, because I get cravings and feel hungrier when it's too low. A little grilled chicken or a couple of eggs and I am better.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Fiber - it's easy for me to keep sodium under. But fiber, I need to eat a lot of... I just have bathroom issues!!
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    sodium, calcium and sugar..though i quit watching sugar on here b/c i was always over just from fruit.... :)
  • paced2day
    paced2day Posts: 55
    Options
    I am the sister so I am the winner! People agree with me most. I am so smart.