All fruit and no veggies

Serenifly
Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
I eat all fruit for snacks, and only veggies I eat are normally IN something for dinner (Quinoi and cous cous)

I eat too much fruit and my sugar is always over big time. I need to eat less fruit but I don't know how haha it's the only snacks I eat!

Replies

• Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    If it's sugar from fruit it should not hurt you unless your doctor says so. I'm no expert but I would not worry about it. :happy:
  • corymomma
    corymomma Posts: 405 Member
    I like baby carrots. They are already peeled and ready to eat. Also I'm a huge huge huge fan of tomatoes, slice and eat...those are my two ways to get in more veggies. Of course with summer here I've been getting fresh green beans and tossing them with some mushrooms for a bit in a pan just a bit of shedd's spread and garlic powder and almost saute them...I know some people will eat green beans raw I just haven't gotten to that point yet, I want them a bit cooked though they are still way crunchy with dinner.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    i used to be/kind of still am the same way. i've had to limit myself to one big fruit serving per day (i either eat a pint of blueberries, strawberries, or blackberries every morning and occasional picking on cherries and watermelon throughout the day if i have them).

i found that eating baby carrots for snacks (or replacing my picking on fruit to the carrots) wasn't as hard as i thought it would be, after a while, the carrots began to taste more sweet than they did when i first started eating them. unfortunately, carrots are basically the only veggie i can eat raw, otherwise i love to broil broccoli and cauliflower (but like you, i only eat those at dinner time).

EDIT- and i LIKE your username! that is- if you're referencing both Serenity and Firefly (best series ever, btw)
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    I'm the same way. I do have a serving of veg. at dinner every night but I probably eat 5ish servings of fruit. I'm not stressed about that sugar. Maybe I should be but, it's not processed or refined and there are many worse things in life.
  • Serenifly
    thanks :) I like baby carrots too, but I'd prefer them with hummus, is it bad to make homemade hummus just to get some more veggies in?! lol

what is Tahini? I always see that with Hummus recipes, is it bad for you ?
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Snack on veggies instead. I love to snack on colored (red, yellow, orange) peppers and sugar snap peas: slightly sweet w/o as much sugar.

And while everyone will say "natural sugar" is fine, IMO too much is still too much, regardless of the source. I lose weight better when I limit sugar in my diet, and most of it is from natural sources as it is.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    I like baby carrots. They are already peeled and ready to eat. Also I'm a huge huge huge fan of tomatoes, slice and eat...those are my two ways to get in more veggies. Of course with summer here I've been getting fresh green beans and tossing them with some mushrooms for a bit in a pan just a bit of shedd's spread and garlic powder and almost saute them...I know some people will eat green beans raw I just haven't gotten to that point yet, I want them a bit cooked though they are still way crunchy with dinner.

Tomatoes are fruit and have sugar too. That's one of the fruits I eat too much of. :)
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    I like fruit much more than veggies. I usually try to have a big salad with dinner to get my veggies in. Otherwise, like others I like baby carrots and I really enjoy grape tomatoes - no cherry or other varieties so much (too tart) but the grape tomatoes are somewhat sweet.
  • misslissa555
    misslissa555 Posts: 135 Member
    I loveeeeeeee hummus! If you make it, try to make it without oil. I'm a newly turned vegan and I eat ALOT of fruits and veggies. I figure the sugar isn't bad if it's coming from natural sources--fruits vs candy. You should try guacamole too! Great with veggies. Yum yum!
  • hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    The majority of the comments are carrots, which i'm pretty allergic to. Don't know if you have vegetable allergies or not? Berries are good because they're lower in sugar. Although I love dried dates now, it tastes like eating cake <3<3
  • JLervold86
    JLervold86 Posts: 93 Member
    Tahini is a sesame paste basically. It is delicious and gives hummus that creamier texture. It's not terrible for you but does add a bit of fat to your hummus.

I do love hummus with carrots though :o)

Oh and celery with peanut butter & adding spinach to omlettes are also a way to sneak in veggies...though I too do not love vegetables and have been terrible lately about throwing them into my diet.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Tahini is amazingly good for you and a wonderful substitute for peanut butter.

Tahini is a thick paste made from ground up sesame seeds and is used predominantly in Middle Eastern dishes such as hummus. Because the seeds are ground in to a paste tahini is very easy to digest, and many of its nutrients find their way in to the blood stream within about half an hour of consumption.

Tahini contains B Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5 and B15. B Vitamins play an essential part in the running of the body. They promote healthy cell growth and division, including that of red blood cells, which will help prevent Anemia. They also support and increase the rate of metabolism, enhance immune and nervous system function as well as helping to maintain healthy skin and muscle tone. Recent studies have also shown that Vitamin B can help protect against one of the most deadly forms of cancer, pancreatic cancer, but only when consumed in food. It is because of this that you will now find tahini for sale in most health shops.

We all know that calcium is an essential mineral for forming and maintaining healthy bones. But recent studies have shown that there is more to calcium than meets the eye. "Our key finding is that higher total calcium intake is associated with a decreased risk of digestive system cancers," said Dr. Yikyung Park, a cancer epidemiologist at the National Cancer Institute. In fact the findings showed that high calcium intake was associated with a reduced overall cancer risk especially amongst women. The problem is that the majority of our calcium intake comes from cow's milk, which our body finds difficult to digest. This in turn can cause many problems ranging from intestinal irritation, intestinal bleeding, anemia, and allergic reactions, to more serious conditions like leukemia, lymphoma and cancer. This is where tahini can come in as just 35grms of tahini can contain almost 35% of your recommended daily calcium intake. In fact many people believe that tahini has a higher concentration of calcium than any other food.

So add a little tahini to your sandwiches to give your mouth a little extra flavor and your body that extra vitamin kick that will keep you happy and healthy.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/026409_tahini_calcium_cancer.html#ixzz1TKLel6De
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I'm a big veggie eater. My parents always had a garden growing up - I just got used to it.

Try preparing veggies as many ways as you possibly can before writing them off. Steamed, roasted, grilled, pureed in smoothies. Vegetables take on different textures when cooked different ways. There is a difference among fresh & frozen veggies too. Some veggies freeze well, others are ruined by freezing.
  • Nowayjose54
    Nowayjose54 Posts: 14 Member
    Fruit is better than candy, but I'd just keep an eye on how sugar affects your appetite. Glycemix index and insulin crashes and all that. Maybe you can find a veggie you enjoy. Personally, I eat all my veggies cooked, unless they are on a sandwich or in a salad, then raw.
  • Serenifly

EDIT- and i LIKE your username! that is- if you're referencing both Serenity and Firefly (best series ever, btw)

haha thanks :) I got it everywhere :) I love it cuz fellow brown coats always give me shout outs! :)
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member

Tomatoes are fruit and have sugar too. That's one of the fruits I eat too much of. :)

Tomatoes are technically a fruit but they are treated as a vegetable for cullinary purposes... cuccumbers, squash, eggplant and avocado are fruts too botanically speaking, but they are all considered "vegetables" for cullinary purposes. When counting your "fruits" and your "veggies" you can count tomatoes, eggplant, squash and cuccumbers all as vegetables even though botanically speaking they are indeed fruits.
  • neela31
    neela31 Posts: 180 Member
    thanks :) I like baby carrots too, but I'd prefer them with hummus, is it bad to make homemade hummus just to get some more veggies in?! lol

what is Tahini? I always see that with Hummus recipes, is it bad for you ?

I've been eating an entire cucumber everyday with hummus! So good!
  • Serenifly
    thanks all for your input, I guess I won't be overly concerned about going over 45 g's of sugar cuz of my fruit ...

Tahini (thanks for that info!) Where in the Grocery store do I find it? (with the yogurt, or with the pb etc)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    thanks all for your input, I guess I won't be overly concerned about going over 45 g's of sugar cuz of my fruit ...

Tahini (thanks for that info!) Where in the Grocery store do I find it? (with the yogurt, or with the pb etc)

I'm trying to remember where I last found it... It was HARD to find. I want to say it was in the aisle with condiments like chili sauce, ketchup, etc.