Bodybugg/Body Media Fit Questions Thread:

Options

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I have had the bodymedia fit since february and have actually gained a couple pounds !
    I average about 500-1000 calorie defecit each week and have lost and gained the same 5 pounds since I got it. I am starting to doubt its accuracy. When I increased my intake so that I was burning 250-500 calories per day I didnt lose. When I averaged 500-1000 burn each day I didnt lose?
    Any thoughts??

Probably too large of deficit for only needing to lose 8 pounds. Your weight tends to fluctuate a lot more when you are in too large of deficit since your body will tend to cycle water retention more.
  • liftingbro
    Options
    I have a high SPA (spontaneous physical activity), I'm always fidgeting, will it be able to measure that movement?

Yes, it has a very sensitive motion sensor that measure motion in 3D.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Any recomendations which package to get? My stepdad is trying to get me to buy his old unit so he can upgrade to the bluetooth.

Also, is it true that they don't measure certain exercise well? I've read that cycling doesn't register since there isn't arm movement.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I have had the bodymedia fit since february and have actually gained a couple pounds !
    I average about 500-1000 calorie defecit each week and have lost and gained the same 5 pounds since I got it. I am starting to doubt its accuracy. When I increased my intake so that I was burning 250-500 calories per day I didnt lose. When I averaged 500-1000 burn each day I didnt lose?
    Any thoughts??

Probably too large of deficit for only needing to lose 8 pounds. Your weight tends to fluctuate a lot more when you are in too large of deficit since your body will tend to cycle water retention more.

I tried increasing my intake so my defecit was only 200-250 and I gained weight so I am afraid eating more will do the same!! that means I would be eating 2200 calories per day...should I try that? and if so how long should I do it and keep doing it if I am gaining??
  • liftingbro
    Options
    Any recomendations which package to get? My stepdad is trying to get me to buy his old unit so he can upgrade to the bluetooth.

Also, is it true that they don't measure certain exercise well? I've read that cycling doesn't register since there isn't arm movement.

The bluetooth thing is cool but I think there tends to be more problems with it if you are using Android. Not there is something wrong with Android but there are so many different phone manufacturers. Android and android apps do not wok equally well on all phones, so you cannot be sure that your phone will work with it well unless you know someone is using it with the same phone.
  • liftingbro
    Options
    Any thoughts??

I tried increasing my intake so my defecit was only 200-250 and I gained weight so I am afraid eating more will do the same!! that means I would be eating 2200 calories per day...should I try that? and if so how long should I do it and keep doing it if I am gaining??

You should always give it a few weeks before you change anything. There are a ton of reasons weight can go up, including water weight and bowl issues. If after three weeks you still have not lost weight or have gained weight then I would lower calories.

Most people that see a spike in weight when upping calories see it because they increased carbs. Carbs are either burned from the blood sugar soon after digested or stored in the muscle and liver as glycogen. When you are on a very low carb diet your glycogen levels tend to be lower and glycogen holds a lot of water with it, so a sudden increase in carbs (and thus glycogen) will make you hold a lot of water. Also, if you have been under eating for a long period of time you are likely to be eating many fewer carbs, so anincrease in calories will often be a large increase in carbs and that bumps your weight.

If you give it a few weeks things should level off and start dropping if that's the problem.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts??

You should always give it a few weeks before you change anything. There are a ton of reasons weight can go up, including water weight and bowl issues. If after three weeks you still have not lost weight or have gained weight then I would lower calories.

Most people that see a spike in weight when upping calories see it because they increased carbs. Carbs are either burned from the blood sugar soon after digested or stored in the muscle and liver as glycogen. When you are on a very low carb diet your glycogen levels tend to be lower and glycogen holds a lot of water with it, so a sudden increase in carbs (and thus glycogen) will make you hold a lot of water. Also, if you have been under eating for a long period of time you are likely to be eating many fewer carbs, so anincrease in calories will often be a large increase in carbs and that bumps your weight.

If you give it a few weeks things should level off and start dropping if that's the problem.

Thanks!!! I think that is part of the problem is that I try something for a couple weeks and gain/lose the same pounds, then i try something else for a week or two. I do watch my carbs, and limit grains to whole grains once or twice per day. I will increase a little and give it a good 3 weeks. Thanks again!!!!!!!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I have a BMF and I noticed after wearing it for a few months that it seemed to "level out" and I assumed that it was averaging out my calorie burns each day to figure out my average burn when I am resting and where I was based on my total movement for the day (sorry dudes, I speak art, not math, so I hope you get what I am saying).

I haven't lost anything but I think it is more a matter of my metabolism getting to where it needs to be with P90X and eating, etc. I am trying calorie cycling right now in the hopes that it helps.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    i just put on the Body Media Fit last night for the first time and just got back from a run. My question is, would there be some sort of interference between the two if I used the BMF AND my Polar FT7 at the same time? I missed wearing my HRM watch and not being able to see my heart rate while running. Thoughts?
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    i just put on the Body Media Fit last night for the first time and just got back from a run. My question is, would there be some sort of interference between the two if I used the BMF AND my Polar FT7 at the same time? I missed wearing my HRM watch and not being able to see my heart rate while running. Thoughts?

I use my FT4 and BB all the time (during workouts) and never had an interference issue.
  • liftingbro
    Options

There should be no problem with the BMF, however, it could screw with the digital display if you have one since they can pretty sensative to other electronic devices with radio signals.
  • jamie1888
    Options
    My BMF doesn't have a digital display; but the HRM does. Great, I'm going to wear my HRM too; I was having withdrawals from not having it! :bigsmile:
  • liftingbro
    Options
    My BMF doesn't have a digital display; but the HRM does. Great, I'm going to wear my HRM too; I was having withdrawals from not having it! :bigsmile:

Then you should be OK. the BMF does not track heart rate so I can't see any overlap that way.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    To answer a previously posted question:

No, it doesn't track a stationary bike accurately because your lower body is doing all the work and there is no forward progression so it pretty much thinks you're sitting an a chair but with fidgety legs or something. On a road bike, there is forward progression and you sway side to side slightly when riding hard so it is better, but not perfect.
  • LuluGirl140
    LuluGirl140 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Ok call me clueless but what's the difference between a bodybugg/body media fit and a regular HRM? Do you wear the former all day? I'm VERY interested since my weight hasn't really fluctuated much and need all the help I can get!
  • iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of getting a BMF. Do you think it would track kayaking? I guess it would if it relies on arm movement... I guess I am wondering how you figure out how many calories to eat.... It tells you what you burn but does it tell you what you need to eat (calorie-wise) to lose x lbs/week based on your numbers? How would things work out if you are just starting to become active but are not exactly in the habit yet? (I really want one of these but with the price, I need it to be something I need, not just something I want). I believe they are now available in Canada, right?
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of getting a BMF. Do you think it would track kayaking? I guess it would if it relies on arm movement... I guess I am wondering how you figure out how many calories to eat.... It tells you what you burn but does it tell you what you need to eat (calorie-wise) to lose x lbs/week based on your numbers? How would things work out if you are just starting to become active but are not exactly in the habit yet? (I really want one of these but with the price, I need it to be something I need, not just something I want). I believe they are now available in Canada, right?

You simply subtract calories from your total daily burn to create a deficit. For example, I typically burn around 2100 calories on a work out day. To lose 1 lb a week, I would subtract 500 calories for my intake (calories eaten). On a rest day, I'll burn around 1800-1900 calories; I'd still stubtract 500 calories from that number for my intake.

Since I use MFP, and I've found that I burn 1800-1900 calories, without dedicated exercise, I simply set my MFP goal as 1550 (1800-250=1/2 lb per week) and let MFP add back my exercise calories.
  • robin52077
    Options
    Ok call me clueless but what's the difference between a bodybugg/body media fit and a regular HRM? Do you wear the former all day? I'm VERY interested since my weight hasn't really fluctuated much and need all the help I can get!

A BMF is NOT a heart rate monitor, it tells you nothing about your heartbeat. It tells you steps taken, minutes of moderate activity, minutes of vigorous activity, and even hours slept.
    The calories burned are displayed on a graph from midnight to midnight, showing the peaks and valleys of where you were moving more.
    All you have to do is check your total around 6 or 7 PM and eat that for the day. The rest of your burn from then till midnight will make up your deficit.

Each one of those categories expands and there is a detailed chart or graph for each one. My favorite is the sleep tracker. It shows a black bar broken up with grey lines, where you were just lying down but not asleep. I t showed me just how restless I really am at night and why I'm so tired!
  • robin52077
    Options
    I guess I am wondering how you figure out how many calories to eat.... It tells you what you burn but does it tell you what you need to eat (calorie-wise) to lose x lbs/week based on your numbers?

that's just math. 1 lb per week is 500 calories a day. Just eat 500 less than your typical daily burn once you figure out what it actually is.
  • jamie1888
    Options
    So, I've only completed 2 days of wearing the BMF so far. According to the device, I burn WAY more calories than I thought I do. I didn't even realize how active I am once I get off work. I basically walk non-stop from the time I get off work to the time I go to bed... grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning house, chasing toddler, chasing puppy, etc. I know I need to give it some time to see how things average out. But, I think I've been eating over a 1000 calories deficit for a long period of time! (except on splurge days, of course). This could explain my extremely slow rate of weight loss, right?