Need help please in getting calcium in my diet

Options
HI all, anyone have any good ideas to get my calcium levels up...no cheese please :-0)

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    unsweetened almond milk & non fat greek yogurt!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    One word: vitamins :)

I take calcium 3x a day.... then again, I take a zillion other vitamins too....multi, iron, b-12, c, magnesium, d3, omega-3, probiotic.... etc.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    until i was ready to start eating cheese again, i was taking a 600mg calcium supplement every day.

otherwise, [greek] yogurt, milk and some breads are good sources (though i've heard to stay away from calcium enriched breads because your body doesn't absorb it anyway, though maybe that's fiber?)

edit- oh yes, unsweetened almond milk is SOOOOOOOO good.
  • dc08d
    dc08d Posts: 5
    Options
    Hey! I have recently cut dairy out of my diet and have been loving the results. To get my calcium I make sure I eat beans. Black or kidney beans on my salads. Also I put some soy milk in my coffee- there's lots of delicious flavors. Spinach is also full of calcium. I put spinach in fruit smoothies and you can't taste it at all. Hope this helped!
  • FireSwan
    FireSwan Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi Karen,

Here's a great little article I found that may help:
    http://www.spine-health.com/blog/osteoporosis/10-ways-get-enough-calcium-if-youre-lactose-intolerant

You can get your calcium from baked beans, kale, broccoli, spinach and other dark leafy greens, beets, and even calcium fortified orange juice. I try to make sure I'm getting calcium from a variety of sources as well as taking a multi-vitamin that has both calcium and vitamin D (you need vitamin D for calcium absorbtion). I always eat and activia low fat yogurt or greek yogurt every morning.

I hope this helps! of course...I love cheese so I add that in too! :bigsmile:
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I was going to say broccoli and spinach and I googled "sources of calcium" to confirm and found this:
    http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/nutrition-diet-weight-loss/sources-calcium-food
  • joanpchapman
    Options
    salmon,sardines, tofu, rhubarb, greens, soy beans, baked beans, cottage cheese, raw broccoli.
  • KarenHarper71
    Options
    Thanks everybody, some fab ideas, I love spinach so can eat that 'superfood' as my snacks and love green veg.. Where could I get almond milk please?.....thanks xx
  • ryanbird
    ryanbird Posts: 1
    Options