ALWAYS over on sugar...help!

So, I was going through my past week or 2 food diaries and every single day I am over on sugars. I don't know what to do ! I mean I guess I forget fruit has sugar and in the past I was drinking slim fast shakes which are very high sugar but switched to a low sugar mix.

I am a former daily soda drinker and worked at Starbucks for years(daily frappucinos..) So, I guess my question is do you have any suggestions as to how to cut out more sugar? Low sugar snacks?

Thanks

Replies

• juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    would it be possible (depending on your tastes) to eat more fruits to satisfy the desire for sugar? Not sure if diabetes is an issue....but I am always over on sugar BUT it is always high fiber fruits in yummy smoothies - sometimes I'll add a teaspoon of plain cocoa powder for the chocolate flavor.

I'd stay away from all processed drinks slim fast and the type...they just aren't real food and ya gotta find ways to eat that are healthy and sustainable for your lifetime.

Good Luck!
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    I go over my sugar with the first bite of my breakfast.
    Last Monday, I decided to stick to my limit for once and I succeded!

Breakfast, I had a bagel with egg and turkey bacon (15 cals per slice!) and a bowl of cheerios with soy milk.

Lunch, I had tuna with miracle whip and 2 cups of broccoli.

Dinner, I had a BLT and half a bowl of cheerios since I was still hungry.

My sodium took a bit of a hit (-43), but sugar was at a whopping +4.

I still think it sucked, so I'll stick to my cereal and english muffins for bfast and my PB&J and yogurt for lunch.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    I think it depends on what your processed sugar vs. fruit/natural sugar ratio is. I consider fruit sugars better for you than process stuff, so if I go over one day because I had a peach and a banana, I don't sweat it. But if you have a lot of processed sugar, I would try and gradually cut them out and made replace them with something else.
  • dree77
    dree77 Posts: 52
    It always helps to read labels, for sure. Keep an eye out for words such as fructose and glucose, and corn syrup - these all mean LOTS of sugar! Also the higher up on the list of ingredients something is, the more of it there is in the product. And don't assume low fat means low sugar. You're right, some fruits are high in sugar, especially non-domestic fruits such as pineapple and citrus fruits. Try to eat these in small quantities and/or stick to domestic fruits such as apples, peaches, pears, and berries. Sugar also lurks in places like milk and bread, so look for those items that have lower sugar quantities. I don't know if this helps at all but I hope it does! :)
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 399 Member
    I'm hardly never over on sugar. Once I know something has alot of sugar I make sure to not eat it again. I also input my food before I actually eat it so if something is high I modify the day, before I consume the calories/ sugar.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Sugar and fruit sugar are the same thing. And your body treats them the same (just like white bread and whole wheat bread).

Anything made with flour (simple carbs) is converted to glucose in our body.
    Anything made with whole grain (complex carbs) is broken down into simple sugars and converted to glucose in the body. Any glucose that doesn't get used immediately gets sent off to our adipose tissue for storage. Heck, even the carbs in veggies are converted to glucose in the body. So all these things will raise your blood sugar levels and too much insulin pumping through your blood will inhibit fat metabolism.

But I have different views these days on sugar, grains, flours, fiber, and fat.
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    www.sugarstacks.com is a great visual!!!
  • TeriTegland
    TeriTegland Posts: 30 Member
    www.sugarstacks.com is a great visual!!!
    That's pretty cool!
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    reduce your carbohydrate intake and the sugars will likely fallow.
  • jrcox520
    jrcox520 Posts: 130 Member
    For me, watching fruit and daily intake has helped keep it under control. Breakfast cereals tend to be high in sugar, and lots of diet foods are too.

Edit: Watch the protein/energy/meal bars and condiments too. Its sneaky stuff.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    stick to the berry family for fruits. Eat lots of veggies and proteins. Find food that are naturally low in sugar and stick to those.
  • I think it depends on what your processed sugar vs. fruit/natural sugar ratio is. I consider fruit sugars better for you than process stuff, so if I go over one day because I had a peach and a banana, I don't sweat it. But if you have a lot of processed sugar, I would try and gradually cut them out and made replace them with something else.

Your profile pictures are awesome! Congrats on 69 pounds lost!!