Zumba

Options
I am beginning Zumba and wanted to put it in my exercise log however Zumba is not listed there. Is anyone doing Zumba and if so how did you put it in your log?

Replies

• Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i've used this website... i heard its pretty decent if u dont have a Heart Rate Monitor.

then you can create a new exercise (under My exercise)

http://www.zumbacalories.com/

^^silly me forgot to add the website
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I do it almost every day. I log it as Aerobic - high impact which seems to be about right for me based on calories eaten vs. weight lost.
  • wyants
    wyants Posts: 18
    Options
    I couldn not find anything except Aerobics High Impact. That was the only thing that seemed close enough. If anyone knows something different please let me know.
    Shawn Marie
  • Andrea_Alexis_1980
    Andrea_Alexis_1980 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If i'm right its under Circuit training, general
  • AlisonLT
    AlisonLT Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi,
    I log a 1 hour Zumba class as a 60 minute aerobics high impact workout. It works out at 391 calories lost.
    Hope that helps.
  • jctwin
    jctwin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I AM WITH YOU ON THAT ONE, STARTED DOING IT BUT DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH TO CALCULATE. TONIGHT I AM GOING TO COUNT THE ACTUAL TIME I DO PER VIDEO AND WILL USE MY ODOMETER TO TRY AND CALCURA CALORIES LOST. WILL LET YOU KNOW.-BUT IF YOU GET INFO LET ME KNOW.

THANKS
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i do it really hard so i do 10 calories per minute. it said you can burn anywhere from 500-1000 per hour so i stay on the lower side.
  • Allgold78
    Allgold78 Posts: 1
    Options
    I used the same link as elle_jamaicangirl and it works out your calories burned based on your weight etc, then I added it as a new exercise
  • djkymba
    djkymba Posts: 174
    Options
    If I were you I'd use the Zumba calorie website, I think you're probably burning more calories than you know. I just got a heart rate monitor and I just burned 648 calories in 55 minutes doing the Zumba Live Fitness DVD.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yes, and please make sure to add it to your personal log as 'Zumba' that way you're logging it correctly and not as something it is not (dance, aerobics, etc.)

You can research online to figure out what your calorie burn is for an hour of Zumba (based on how intense your class is). I found out my class is very intense and also that I burn more than 500 calories doing 60 minutes of Zumba. This is based on my height, weight, and how intense my class is.
  • jenvens
    jenvens Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I've always recorded under dancing/ballroom, but Zumba isn't ballroom dancing for cryin out loud! Thanks!
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I usually log mine as dancing mordern twist.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I log a 1 hour Zumba class as a 60 minute aerobics high impact workout. It works out at 391 calories lost.
    Hope that helps.

It actually varies based on how much you weigh. I used to get a little over 500 for 60 min of high impact, now I only get like 486 because I've lost weight. I have do a little more if I want to hit 500. :frown:
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Hope that helps.

That is too low of a calorie burn for an hour of Zumba. I would research what you are burning personally and check out the website www.zumbacalories.com to figure it out. I can see a less intense class being a 391 burn...but not a normal Zumba class.
  • arkenny
    arkenny Posts: 125
    Options
    i added my own...and called it zumba.... i average between 700 and 800 for 60 mins
  • GCPgirl
    GCPgirl Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I looked it up on line and saw a few sites that ranged between 500 to 800 calories burned. I do a Zumba Toning class where we use light weights too so I enter it as 700cals burned. By the end of the class I am dripping with sweat so I know I burned a lot!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I usually log mine as dancing mordern twist.

thats what I used before I got a HRM and it seems to be pretty darn close!
  • dessab
    dessab Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks, let me know. I dont have an odometer to calculate. I just started the 20 minute beginner DVD.