OW, Now I've Done It...and I'm MAD

Options
TinaDay1114
TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
I've been training for my 1st 1/2 marathon for the last month, and this weekend I pushed too hard too fast. I ran 8 miles in my Vibrams (gee, I thought running 4 1/2 in them was "good enough" to break them in), and now my plantar faciitis is killing me. I'm mad at myself for doing something stupid (injuring myself), mad because I can't run right now, and FRUSTRATED because I feel like I totally blew all the good distance I was building up...UGH.

Any words of encouragement for me? Any of you still running w/this injury?
Anybody wanna SMACK me for doing something DUMB?? :huh:

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    smack-2.jpg

I got nuthin on the injury. I had to stop running due to my back. I have a friend with PF and I know it's painful. I wish you well.

:grumble:
  • RagtimeLady
    RagtimeLady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing stability or motion control shoes? They're supposed to help. I have flat feet and develop shin splints, even just power walking. Got Saucony ProGrid Omni 9 shoes and foot and shin pain are GONE. Worth a try. If you have a shop near you that specializes in running shoes, they my analyze the way you run and recommend the best shoe for you.

Good luck!
  • AEROBICVIC
    AEROBICVIC Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    sorry to hear that. i get it often but have learned the warning signs to back off before i get myself into trouble with it....but i had to learn the hard way also. i've been teaching aerobics for the last 14 years and the last 7 years i've had this problem. i hate to say but i would get cortizone shots in order for me to keep teaching and show horses. i should have stopped and let it recover each time but my life was/is too busy. i did teach the best i could when it would flare up but it really limited me on what i could do. it would get worse each day until i couldn't walk at all, then i'd get another shot. my last bout with it was 2 years ago on our honeymoon. walked miles in flat flip flops because i didnt want to get sand in my new cross trainers. stupid stupid move! i ended up on crutches when i got home, then another shot..... i live in nike shox because the incline in the back of the shoe works great with me and my pf. flat foot walking for me is very little. i still do my foot exercises and stretches several times a week to keep it flexed.