Shoe Issues- Runners/Walkers....Input please?

Options
sweebum
sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
I previously had some Asics Gel Kahana 3's which are well worn and causing shin and heel pain.

I went to a running store and they told me to buy a cushioning shoe. I tried the Nike Pegasus but had problems with the heel/foot part gaping where the laces tie. Then they suggested Asics Cumulus 13's. These caused severe top forefoot pain (big toe joint).

So I go to another running store and they tell me I should not have strayed from the support shoes, that my arches are very low/flat and I overpronate (I know this). I leave with the Asics Gel Kahana 4's. If it isn't broke, don't fix it I figured.

About 3 miles in on the Kahana 4's I have heel pain. Sharp, shooting in the bottom of my heel. I try to walk through it- it passes, but comes back soon after.

Is it the shoes? Should I be getting an insole? Should I keep walking through the pain? Or should I be looking for another shoe? I am treadmill walking for the most part if that matters.

Replies

• akgrl1020
    akgrl1020 Posts: 179
    Options
    Have you tried different socks? I also over-pronate, and tried support shoe after support shoe (I love my Asics!). Every shoe, my arches would cramp. I bought some Gold Toe thick socks, and have not had a cramped arch since!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Sounds like plantar fasciitis (inflammation of the plantar fascia) which is pretty common with 'flat feet'. A night splint (to stretch the plantar fascia and achilles tendons) will probably help (you can buy them online from orthopedic stores), rolling your foot on a tennis ball helps in the short term.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    You could also try the green superfeet...they're more supportive than the other OTC orthotics or the footbeds (even the more supportive ones) that come with running sneakers. They don't have a padding layer though, so they might be too hard to run in (I have to put an extra layer of the generic foam insoles on top for walking on the concrete floor at work).