Chest pains.

Options
sarah307
sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
*anyone else have on/off chest pains? and do you still workout when you are having chest pains? is it anxiety induced?

I have been having on and off chest pains for about 6 months or so now. About two months ago or something, my chest pains were so bad that I decided to go to the ER (my heart rate was extremely rapid, RHR over 200 bpm!) and... it ended up being a reaction to some medications I was taking (my thyroid medicine was interacting with my adhd medication) and they told me not to take my thyroid meds anymore. my heart rate went somewhat back to normal and i didn't have chest pains anymore or as often... they did diagnosis me with infrequent tachycardia, but it is just because of my medication.

*I am thinking the chest pains I have are anxiety induced.
If it was anxiety induced chest pain, wouldn't exercise decrease anxiety, therefore decrease the chest pains?!
Anyone else experience anything similar to this? THANKS!

Replies

• Degator
    Degator Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I went to the doctor for chest pains and they gave a stress test and determined it was anxiety. Since you are already visiting the doctor see if they will give you one as well. It is basically just running on a treadmill and they can tell more about how your heart is functioning under stress. But, keep going until they figure it out.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor's TODAY!! You need a qualified professional to diagnose your problem. Don't mess around with something that could be so serious!!!!!!
  • gotabayqh
    gotabayqh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was having a similar problem a few months ago. Made a trip to the ER late one night as well and I followed up with my doctor. Turns out I did have anxiety and they prescribed me Buspar and I also take Tums along with it since that seems to help when I do have chest pains. The medicated has really helped and I rarely have the chest pains anymore.
  • Kallisti
    Kallisti Posts: 61
    Options
    "They" told you not to take your meds any more? Who is they? The ER doc, your regular doc? Have you had your TSH levels tested since then? Did you ever follow up with a cardiologist?

Please, don't have chest pains, a HR over 200, and then just stop taking a medicine and KEEP HAVING CHEST PAINS and IGNORE IT. Personally, I wouldn't be satisfied until I had seen a cardiologist. You might need a stress test (to see how your heart responds to stress) or a few days on a Holter monitor (to see if your heart rate or rhythm is doing anything wonky over the course of a few days).

Sure, it could be nothing, or we could be talking about your life here. Talk to your doctor, and if he doesn't listen to you, talk to another one.
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    Please go see a heart doctor. Excerise may not be the answer to this. It could be all of the above and then it could not. You need to make sure its not other things causing the pains. Take care.
  • Gsc122
    Gsc122 Posts: 36
    Options
    I have anxiety induced chat pain, but it doesn't have to be heart related.mine is located
    Above my right lung, and its related to stomach acid. 1 zantac takes care of it.(took a week of daily z to make the chronic
    Pain I was having go away. Now I just take it if it pops up again)
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Rememger tachycardia is NOT a diagnosis. It is a symptom related to something else. It can be from ANYTHING! Overheating, anxiety, medication, sugar rush, or an excited heart. Whatever it is, if you feel like its just undeniably painful and abnormal you should get it checked. Which you did. That's so weird they told you to stop taking your thyroid... Won't that make things worse and put your thyroid out of wack? The best thing is to figure out what you do everyday that causes it. I had it for awhile then figured out it was from sleeping with too heavy blankets so I went to a lighter quilt and it solved the problem. I can also get it from oversleeping or napping in the middle of the day and then trying to get 8 hours at night. Really annoying!!
  • sarah307
    Options
    Thanks guys for your input! Yeah, I work at a hospital so I know about the stress test and holter monitors, but have had neither. The ER doctor was the one that told me to stop taking the thyroid ones.

My TSH was normal a few days after ??? (I have hypothyroidism, but the medication was too high a dose (and interacting) and put me into hyperthyroidism...again, ER doctor said.) and then my doctor that prescribes me the medications, just said not to take them anymore, which is a whole other story, but Idk. It's getting kind of ridiculous. I just don't want to go to the ER or something like that and they give me an unnecessary chest xray and an EKG and then be like - "okay, you are fine."

I won't workout until I talk to my doctor and get some more tests done. Thanks again!
  • sarah307
    Options
    Rememger tachycardia is NOT a diagnosis. It is a symptom related to something else. It can be from ANYTHING! Overheating, anxiety, medication, sugar rush, or an excited heart. Whatever it is, if you feel like its just undeniably painful and abnormal you should get it checked. Which you did. That's so weird they told you to stop taking your thyroid... Won't that make things worse and put your thyroid out of wack? The best thing is to figure out what you do everyday that causes it. I had it for awhile then figured out it was from sleeping with too heavy blankets so I went to a lighter quilt and it solved the problem. I can also get it from oversleeping or napping in the middle of the day and then trying to get 8 hours at night. Really annoying!!

yeah, i understand tachycardia is a symptom, i didn't mean to word that as diagnosis !! :)
  • mommy3brats
    Options
    I am on synthroid also and have had that happen. When I went to the ER, they ran blood tests for my thyroid levels and sent my reseults to my doctor immeadialtely. She lowered my synthroid, sent me to a cardiologist who ran a stress test, plus did an ultrasound. Together they, not the ER, decided my meds were too high. Be careful with what you do and research the meds you are taking...
  • sarah307
    Options
    wow! your doctors work really well with each other (the way it's supposed to be!) ... talk about getting the correct care! Dang, I am being poorly taken care of I believe. Thanks for replying.
    and yes i always research all my meds! this was just weird b/c i was on these meds for like a year straight without this happening!
  • mariasheehan
    mariasheehan Posts: 335
    Options
    Glad you're going to go to the doctor, it really is the best thing to do. Hope you feel better soon x
  • Drpmkumaran
    Drpmkumaran Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Resting heart rate over 200 and they just told you to stop thyroid medications alone - ridiculous... 200 is a very high rate... You might need beta blockers for time being for the rate control... And I hope you are on a stimulant like methylphenidate for ADHD and they can also cause tachycardia... And having chest pain in such a situation is significant... Okay.. First of all get your TSH levels checked, make sure you are not anemic, you might have talk to your psychiatrist about the dose of the stimulant drugs you are taking, your thyroid medications have to be adjusted based on TSH levels. How often do you get the chest pain??? At rest or during exertion?? Location, character, duration, relieving factors??? See a cardiologist first and don't push yourself till this issue settles down... Take care....
  • Twasney
    Twasney Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Go see the doctor....it could be something as simple as costacondritiis (which is basically pulled/bruised/sore muscles around your rib cage caused by lung infections, over exertion or a crappy underwire bra!!) or it could be something more serious!

Never mess with pain in your chest, legs or head!! Better to check with the doctor!
  • sarah307
    Options
    thanks!