Chicken

Options
Leigh14
Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
Yesterday I bought two packages of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I painted them with some olive oil, put some pepper and oregano on them and baked them in aluminum foil for about 40 minutes. Although I think they're alright . . . they didn't come out as tasty as I thought they would. :grumble: They're a little bland.

I'd like to make some yummier chicken for my lunches, so, I was wondering if anyone had any low-cal, low-cost chicken recipe ideas? Preferrably simple, too, :embarassed: hehe, I am SO used to not cooking.... but it's a skill I'm working on. :tongue:

Replies

• Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I bought two packages of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I painted them with some olive oil, put some pepper and oregano on them and baked them in aluminum foil for about 40 minutes. Although I think they're alright . . . they didn't come out as tasty as I thought they would. :grumble: They're a little bland.

I'd like to make some yummier chicken for my lunches, so, I was wondering if anyone had any low-cal, low-cost chicken recipe ideas? Preferrably simple, too, :embarassed: hehe, I am SO used to not cooking.... but it's a skill I'm working on. :tongue:
  • jesse1117
    jesse1117 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    marinate for 1/2 an hour in paul newman's light italian salad dressing with lemon and broil.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I like to take some chicken breast or thighs and broil or grill (I use a George Foreman grill)........that I have either marinated in light italian dressing or some other marinade or which I then brush with BBQ sauce.

I also like to make a rub of paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, chili powder, salt, garlic powder and rub it on chicken thighs and broil on each side for about 5 min each.........then mix apple cider vinegar and honey together to make a sauce, which I brush on and cook for another minute or two. SO good! But I do like spicy foods.
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Thae recipe would be great, but you need to add some extra seasoning. I usually use italian blends.Something that has garlic in it. Also, you could chop fresh garlic and put it in the alum packet, smells wonderful! Also, if you like brocoli, that tastes good added in the packet!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    There are lots of rubs you can buy in he grocery store, or you can make your own with different spices. I like to use those.
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    Marinating is the key, otherwise I agree, it'll turn out bland. I put two chicken breasts in the following marinate for at least an hour:

cut three small slices in the top of the breasts (so juices can be absorbed)
    1/2 c water
    1/4 c olive oil (just pour some over the tops)
    sprinkle some Grill Mates over the tops for added flavor
    1/4 c apple cidar vinegar (just pour some over the tops)

I then pour the chicken and the juices in the skillet, flip...yummm..

98575.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Journal
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Another marinade that is good and simple is:
    Equal parts of:
    1. diet coke or coke zero
    2. fat free italian dressing
    3. Ketchup OR BBQ...depends on your liking
    I usually use 1/2 c. each ingredient to prepare chicken for my husband and I.

I know this sounds SO weird...but it's really good. Marinade chicken for at least an hour and then grill or bake in the oven.
  • Angiebangie
    Angiebangie Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I flatten the chicken with a "flattener", I don't know what it's called. Then I sprinkle any of the Mrs. Dash seasonings on the chicken, lots, there's no salt, and then cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes at 400* Very yummy plain, or cut up in salads, hot or cold.

Or, I cut up in chunks and pour ff dressing on and let marinade for a few hours and then drain and cook the same way as above.
  • scheys76
    scheys76 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Here's the marinade I use for my chicken

Key West Chicken:

3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
    1 Tablespoon Honey
    1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil (I use Olive Oil instead)
    1 Teaspoon Lime Juice
    1 Teaspoon Chopped Garlic
    4 Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breast Halve

Mix ingrediants except chcicken in a shllow container. Put the chicken in and turn over to coat. Cover and marinate for at least 30 minutes. (I usually marinate for over a day) Then I throw it on the George Foreman grill.

I got this recipe from allrecipes.com It's a great recipe site and at least some, if not most or all of the recipes have a nutritional break down on there.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I just have a "magic" mix of spices we use, on almost everything, and then I just broil them. Magic mix? lol... We just sprinkle on garlic powder, pepper, onion powder, and seasoned salt. Nothing special, but we love it!
  • gschwsh
    Options
    I marinate in italian dressing or peter lugeror hony mustard and grill them they are delicouse and you can eat them day after day without getting bored. Over spinach on ww bread. etc
  • curlhair
    Options
    I flatten the chicken with a "flattener", I don't know what it's called. Then I sprinkle any of the Mrs. Dash seasonings on the chicken, lots, there's no salt, and then cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes at 400* Very yummy plain, or cut up in salads, hot or cold.

Or, I cut up in chunks and pour ff dressing on and let marinade for a few hours and then drain and cook the same way as above.

if you're talking about those big metal mallet things with spikes, i think those are called "meat tenderizers", but i'm not sure! and i always do that too! it tastes better to me when it's flatter, for some reason. :smile:
  • seegirlrun
    Options
    if you're talking about those big metal mallet things with spikes, i think those are called "meat tenderizers",

That's funny - I use a heavy sauce pan to whack the heck out of my chicken breasts. I like to flatten them because you get more surface area to put seasoning on and so they have more flavor...
  • PurdyMommy
    PurdyMommy Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I love to bake my chicken in rotel and serve with rice. My Dh loves yellow rice with his but I eat brown. I also like to marinate in no salt added Teryaki sause and bake with onions... Uhhhh what else? You could also do the chicken nuggest and serve with salad, rice or veggies.. There is a recipet for the chicken nuggets on here soemwhere!

Hope you can eat some tastier chicken soon!
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I usually marinate mine in Italian dressing, or brush them with a little BBQ sauce during the last 20 min. or so of baking. I want a George Foreman grill to cook chicken breast on...maybe Santa will bring me one!

BTW Tam....you are looking great!!
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Here's my newest favorite chicken dish-there's even the calorie count for it on MFP!! Someone else must've made it and logged it-it's totally low cal and full of flavor. I didn't have all the spices in my cabinet but it turned out delicious!!

Moroccan Chickpea CHili-I added chicken to mine!

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1654648