Just say..."because"

Options
MassiveDelta
MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
Interesting bit of information.

How to Convince People to Let You Cut in Line
If someone asks you for a small favor, you're far more likely to do it if they explain why. The thing is, it's not the reason that matters. You may think it is, but you can just as easily convince people to let you go ahead of them in line with a stupid excuse. All you need to say is the word "because."
Psychologist Ellen Langer conducted a study on the affects of persuasive language, finding that one simple word made all the difference. To figure this out, Langer asked three different variations of a single request to people using a photocopier. First, she asked "Excuse me, I have five pages. May I use the Xerox machine?" 60% allowed her to go ahead of them. When Langer was more specific and asked, "Excuse me, I have five pages. May I use the Xerox machine because I'm in a rush?" the rate of compliance shot up to 94%. This shouldn't come as a surprise. What may is the third request: "Excuse me, I have five pages. May I use the Xerox machine because I have to make some copies?" The rate of compliance stayed about the same at 93% when the excuse was completely ridiculous. Everyone in line needed to make copies, but Langer was able to cut the line by simply providing an excuse in the first place. It was the presence of the word "because" that made it easier for her to skip the wait.

It seems that next time you want to skip the line, all you have to do is ask and provide a reason. What that reason is, however, may not matter at all.

http://lifehacker.com/5824481/how-to-convince-people-to-let-you-cut-in-line

Original Article - http://www.cognizancemagazine.com/?p=21

Replies

• hill2302
    hill2302 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I'm so gonna try this, but in a more useful context.

"Hey, you wanna go an a date with me, because I'd like for you to go on a date with me."

I'll let you know how that goes.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options

"Hey, you wanna go an a date with me, because I'd like for you to go on a date with me."

Nice...Ill bet it works.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    That's interesting. Ticks me off when I'm standing in lne and someone just cuts in front of me without saying anything. Just RUDE!!! Maybe I should copy this post and give it to the next rude person that cuts in front of me. :bigsmile:
  • Trixtabella
    Trixtabella Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I still wouldn't let them cut in front of me, in fact some woman asked me this I didn't even as why I just said no.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

:laugh:

Sounds foolproof! :laugh:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I guess this is true since "Because I said so" was always the final word in our house. grumble.gif
  • MassiveDelta
    Options
    can I cut in line because I REALLY have to pee??!!!!!

No :P
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    It didn't work on my wife. I did not successfully get into her pants. I was polite, and my excuse was, "Because I'm dying" just made her hit me. I hope you sleep well after spreading all of these malicious "help" things.... smiley-sad058.gif
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options

:laugh:

Sounds foolproof! :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: I agree! :laugh: There's only one way to find out...:laugh:
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    It didn't work on my wife. I did not successfully get into her pants. I was polite, and my excuse was, "Because I'm dying" just made her hit me. I hope you sleep well after spreading all of these malicious "help" things.... smiley-sad058.gif

thats just funny
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options

LOL! Ted, you crack me up!
  • MassiveDelta
    Options

I slept great! ...and it worked on her when I tried it. You must be doing something wrong.
  • Mdbondurant
    Mdbondurant Posts: 104
    Options
    Will one of my MFP take me on vacation BECAUSE I really need one?!?!:tongue:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

I slept great! ...and it worked on her when I tried it. You must be doing something wrong.

popcorn.gif