Oatmeal

Options
charelaine
charelaine Posts: 712 Member
I really want to like oatmeal. Do you guys have any suggestions for me? I don't want to use instant oatmeal. I have both quick oats and regular oats on hand.

Thanks!

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/345 This is awesome for the summer- easy, yummy, and light. I make it all the time in the summer.
    In the winter I tend to do steel cut oats in the crockpot overnight- 1 cup oats, 4 cups water, sprinkle cinnamon, cook on low for 6-8 hours depending upon your crockpot. Then mix with fruit in the am.
  • shevyface
    shevyface Posts: 46
    Options
    Mix in some fruit! Peaches, especially fresh and not out of the can, are great in oatmeal. Sweetner also helps the taste. Or try making homemade cookies, throw in some raisins, and some peanut butter for protein!
  • tanyamelliott
    Options
    Personally, I love oatmeal! So these ideas may sound gross to you.. but I love raw quick oats with 1/2 cup fat free milk and 1/2 banana sliced Or cook with water and add banana with cinnamon and if you want some extra sweetness or crunch put some honey and walnuts in!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    add peanut butter. super yummy.
  • syreetahasting
    Options
    I just bought some oatmeal. I dice up apples & sprinkle in cinnamon..mmmm..mmmm..GOOD!!
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Steel Cut Oatmeal AKA Irish Oatmeal is the way to go. I like Bob's Red Mill. You can get organic, normal or gluten-free.

has a nice texture and good carbs with a little protein I believe. Toss a little Agave or natural Maple Syrup with some cinnamon.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    i like to add freeze dried fruit (no sugar added) from trader joe's, as well as cinnamon and sweetener (i use truvia or splenda, but you can use regular sugar). also, i sometimes like to add a bit of i can't believe it's not butter or almond milk. i LOVEEEE oatmeal. you can also add maple syrup (again, i use sugar free).

i use old fashioned oats bc i don't like the texture of the quick oats.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I like them much better savory than sweet!

oats.jpg?w=460&h=345

http://veganlazy.wordpress.com/2011/05/05/savory-steel-cut-oats/
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    My favorite three...

-Cooked apple and cinnamon
    -Blueberries and chopped pecans
    -Nutella and bananas
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    bump nice idea thanks :)
  • all76
    all76 Posts: 16
    Options
    Mmmm, my favorite is overnight oats. 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 c blueberries and 10 drops of vanilla liquid stevia. I just mix it all together at night and it's ready to eat in the morning... Love it!
  • czybura
    czybura Posts: 9
    Options
    I like Coaches Oats which they sell at costco, but my favorite is Steel Cut Oats. Trader Joes has one that only takes 8 minutes to cook instead of 20.

I cook my steel cut oats, add tons of cinnamon, and I sweeten mine with creamed honey instead of brown sugar. I like to add fresh or frozen fruit. Choices may include: blueberries, peaches/nectarine, mango, diced apple, chopped pecans, banana.
  • spankywife
    spankywife Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I add 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder and some sort of fruit. Right now my favorite is home dried strawberries. It's so so yummy!
  • charelaine
    charelaine Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will give some of these a try. I was going to try to mix with applesauce too. Wonder if that will be gross?
  • Lexiehsub76
    Options
    I put cinnamon, nuts, raisins, or dried cranberries, and splenda in mines!!!
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    bump. I have mine with 2% milk, almond butter and banana
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    bump and I eat mine with a little bit of sugar. I also love Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats!!
  • btmadison
    btmadison Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Natural Peanut Butter mixed in makes it taste like eating hot oatmeal cookies, soooooo goood. Better with some frozen blueberries tossed in
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Options

WOAH! Totally awesome! Never thought of this, I'm totally trying this next.
  • lindsay6694
    lindsay6694 Posts: 182
    Options
    i just made some almond joy oatmeal today...1/2 cup of quick oats, 1 cup of coconut milk, a little vanilla and almond extract, 1/2 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder, 2 tablespoons of unsweetened coconut, a little sweetener of your choice(i used a little honey today), a little dash of milk ontop and some toasted slivered almonds

im also on a kick of using coffee in my oatmeal instead of water & 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, a little sweetener of your choice, 1/2 of a banana mashed, 1/2 tablespoon of cocoa powder, vanilla extract and cinnamon, a little milk on top and some toasted walnuts