PTSD and weight loss?

Hiya guys!

So far on my weight loss journey, I've lost three pounds and gained two back. Boo :(. But I'm not giving up!
Anyway. In May I was diagnosed with PTSD. I've been going to therapy, but another big part was that when I was a kid my father would often not feed me as a punishment. So then I made up for it by eating everything in sight when I was at my mom's/when I could! Hah! I feel like I still hang on to a part of that. I still seem to really compulsively eat before I even realize it's what I'm doing. And I log ALL my calories, even when I've gone really over and it makes me feel guilty (you'd think it would be more motivation not to do it!)

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this, or if anxiety could be a cause as to why I keep going back to compulsive eating? Any ideas on other ways I could deal with stress/anxiety?

Replies

• mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    I find that if my anxiety kicks in I go out for a walk or something that calms me...this helps with me not going to the frig and just eating and eating......
  • GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Honestly, I have a serious anxiety issue and take Xanax. Exercise isn't enough at this point to control the panic attacks I get, even if I start exercising at the onset of one.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I haven't been diagnosed with PSTD, but it wouldn't surprise me if I did. I do have depression and anxiety, and while I still take a little xanax at night, I've been able to stop my anti-depressants since changing my life, especially my exercise and eating habits, so much. But if I don't exercise, and exercise HARD, for a few days in a row, I'm tight as a coiled spring, highly agitated and edgy. A half hour of running, and I feel like whole new person.
  • bearsfan68
    bearsfan68 Posts: 85 Member
    I deal wth stress and anxiety and I think that eating is a comfort or atleast for me it is. I am in the process of learning how to turn to exercise when I am upset. I agree with the other member about exercising and how it makes a person feel really good. You might also try to find something that you enjoy to do like give yourself a mani or pedi to retrain your brain to another place when your wanting to eat.

Wishing you good luck!! You can do it!!
  • julslea
    julslea Posts: 436 Member
    I suffer from anxiety and depression and have for many years. I am currently on Lexapro (in fact Dr. just upped my dosage to 20 mg) which has helped. As far as the eating I have to be very mindful or else I just can't stop...espically if i'm in a bad place mentally. Best of luck to you all.
  • persephone87
    persephone87 Posts: 220 Member
    I'm having some similar issues, I have PTSD because of my abusive ex at one point he kidnapped me for a month and would screw around with my food and my opinion on myself, he would call me fat and not allow me to eat, but then he would buy in very unhealthy foods and it was either eat them or starve, then he would insult me for eating fatty foods when I'm already fat. Its had a really bad effect on me I swing between 'screw you' and going to the gym and being so miserable I just want to eat anything I can, its a vicious circle. For my anxiety I'm on Cipralex it helps somewhat with the depression but I still can't go out alone. I think allowing yourself to comfort eat a little does help I wouldnt stop myself from the odd comfort food but I would try and make a log of it calorie wise and counteract it with exercise. Either that or when I do go to eat like others have said I try to turn to exercise but it's more difficult for me since I'm stuck home unless someone else is there to take me out. I really wish the best of luck to everyone and feel free to add me, it always helps to have friend with the disorder who understand your struggles.