Running Inside VS. Running Outside

Options
OK, so I have a run/walk training schedule, and if you live in NC, you know how hot it has been lately. At first, I ran outside, but now it is just too hot. Now I run inside (I don't own a treadmill, so I basically run around the inside of the house LOL) I don't seem to be as tired...is it because when I run outside the ground isn't perfectly level? Or am I just gaining endurance? I wear running shoes and everything as if I were outside

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's possible to really burn just running around the house. If you're pressed for space, you'd be much better off jumping rope.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Flat surface inside is easier. However I've done stuff like that before and I almost wonder if you're sort of tricking brain into not thinking it's so bad so you're not so "tired."
  • krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Ive done the running/walking inside the house... esp when I did Leslie Sansone "walk away the pounds" videos.. or even the walking/jogging on the wii fit. lol
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Try running maybe just in your backyard? I know it can be hot in NC I lived there for a few years but running inside at least to me does not seem like adequate training. I picture trying to run around my house and know I would never ever get to the speed I need to in order to reach my goal heart rate. It is kinda hot here in NY now so I have also started running later at night, like right at sunset, if I have water with me I will pour some on my back to cool down a bit. I also have a treadmill so maybe in the future it will be something to look into getting.
  • vmelton21
    vmelton21 Posts: 5
    Options
    summertime_girl: I may try jumping rope until it cools off
    deadstarsunburn: Could be, I am pretty out of breath, but my legs only hurt a little

Maybe I could get up pretty early and run before the sun really gets a chance to heat things up, and if I get too hot take a water break.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    ...or jumping jacks...
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    I don't think it's possible to really burn just running around the house. If you're pressed for space, you'd be much better off jumping rope.

Agree. Unless you have a castle, running inside is not really running.
  • vmelton21
    vmelton21 Posts: 5
    Options
    I may try the backyard running in the morning. Friday is my next "run day", so I will definitely try outside. Thanks you guys!