Eating a ton and still losing weight

Options
Ok, so before I started MFP, I was eating A LOT of calories-a-day (although thankfully not gaining a lot of weight), and when I was about to start, I was worried that I would be starving all day because of the calorie restrictions.

Well, here's my question: I've cut out nearly all of the poor dieting habits I had before MFP, but I'm still eating a lot during the day. I exercise for all the little 'extras' I have during the day, and I ALWAYS end up UNDER my calorie goal. So far I haven't experienced any major bouts of hunger, but I'm worried that I'm somehow cheating the system. Is it OK to go sometimes significantly over my calorie goals as long as I'm exercising to put them back under??

Here's an example of a typical day:

Breakfast: instant grits and a toasted, thin-cut wheat bagel with cream cheese.
Lunch: A grilled chicken sandwich w/ chicken-noodle soup.
Dinner: 2 low fat hot dogs w/ 1/2 cup of baked beans.
Snacks: small bowl of cereal, coffee, m&ms, popcorn.
Exercise: usually burn close to a 1,000 calories doing walking/hiking/swimming

Replies

• Hoteffinmess
    Hoteffinmess Posts: 121
    Options
    I do the same thing and have the same results. We must be doing something right! Just making better choices in food!
  • bcrugbygirl
    bcrugbygirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i think key is to add more fruits and veg to add more nutrients to be more balanced :)
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    The calorie goals on MFP are a bit low in my opinion. Check out www.fat2fitradio.com/bmr and see what your true goals are. Likely you are eating around this ... and that is why weight loss is happening. I shoot for 2200-2400 calories per day ... with 3000 for one day on the weekend (because of my long run).
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Here's what it boils down to. You Want the total at the end of each day to be close to the calorie goal that MFP gives you. You don't want to be far over and you don't want to be far under. So, yes what you are doing is the right. Although I have never burned 1000 calories exercising I do the same thing. My food log is viewable if you want to take a peak.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    The calorie goals on MFP are a bit low in my opinion. Check out www.fat2fitradio.com/bmr and see what your true goals are.

This web site tell me I should eat 200-300 calories LESS than MFP. I'll stick with MFP's numbers.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    See my signature:

It does not have to be hard and you do not have to be starving all the time. I would add more fruit and vegetables.
  • Schwarzeaugen
    Schwarzeaugen Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Those are all great suggestions! I definitely need more fruits and vegetables; my problems is I'm pretty picky in regards to both of those. I checked fat2fitradio.com, and it said my calories should be more like 2300, so I don't feel too bad about what I eat since MFP is much lower haha.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    The calorie goals on MFP are a bit low in my opinion. Check out www.fat2fitradio.com/bmr and see what your true goals are.

This web site tell me I should eat 200-300 calories LESS than MFP. I'll stick with MFP's numbers.

This site told me to eat 400+ more than MFP...Im sticking with MFP.. :)