under calorie needs + exercise and gained weight???

Options
ahnpe
ahnpe Posts: 32 Member
This is my first post on here, so hello everyone!

I've been using this app for a week and a half now and I absolutely love it. I weigh 148 lbs and set my first goal for 138. 10 pounds doesn't seem so hard does it? My calorie requirements to reach 138 are 1200 for -2 lbs/week, and I have been exercising 4 days a week doing 30 min. cardio and various other strength machines.
However in the past week and a half, instead of losing even 1 pound, i've actually GAINED weight and am at 151! I've been eating relatively healthy and religiously recording my food within the app and the nutrition stats say i've been great at diversifying my nutrient needs. I hardly ever even reach my sodium limit at halfway but I feel bloated and my waist measurements say I haven't lost any there either.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to put in more exercise time? I already take up an hour at the gym which even that is hard for me to fit in my schedule!

Much thanks,
Ahnpe

Replies

• monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    are you new to exercising? If you are, give your body time to adjust.... it will start to fall off. Maybe set your lb per week loss to 1 1/2. when you only have 10 lbs, 2 a week is pretty extreme.
  • texasmagz
    texasmagz Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating quite enough considering the added exercise. If you're eating less than 1200 calories, you may be putting your body into starvation mode so that it is holding onto the calories. Try changing your settings to 1 lb/week. Also be sure to drink lots of water.
  • GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options
    You could either be gaining muscle, or you need to up your calorie intake a little. For some people, when they begin a program, they don't see a loss for a while, but it will eventually come if you stick with it!!!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Let your body adjust. It takes Time and being Consistant and eating clean foods. It does not happen over night. If it does it is not Fat but Water
  • winneau
    winneau Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Please do NOT panic!! I did some research after realizing I've gained 5 lbs. since I started running last week (!!!) and there is a perfectly reasonable explanation called DOMS and water retention. Please read this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/200544-why-do-you-sometimes-gain-weight-when-starting-a-new-exercis?page=1#posts-3975581
  • kakes80
    kakes80 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was going to say putting on muscle too.. Maybe lose the weight and then tone up?? I have been doing ALL cardio to lose... Just a suggestion
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    are you taking into consideration at all water retention prior to having your period? (sorry if that's too icky just I know that I retain water a week prior to my period/menses and then whoosh it all out during it.
    Also measure yourself, if you're doing any training/exercises that include gaining or tightening muscle mass I think that you gain weight by adding muscle mass which in turn is smaller, so you might lose size, but gain weight from muscle. so it's good to measure everything and compare that.

Make sure you're drinking water as well.

I'm sure other people will chime in as well. With helpful hint/tips
  • ahnpe
    ahnpe Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone- all of the explanations seem to fit together. I do consume a lot of water- in fact it's all I drink besides a fruit blend thrown through the juicer. And about 70% of my strength exercises are focused on my midsection- so water retention in my abdominals seems likely. I've lasted a week so far of being consistent with exercise which is more than I ever have before, I think I can hang on through this 'temporary' period a little longer... =)