Does anyone have any good solutions for shin splints?

Options
I get shin splints every time I walk/run on a flat surface, such as a treadmill or outside. I don't mean normal walking, I mean exercise obviously. I can't walk on a treadmill for more than 5 minutes without severe pain in my leg. I've heard shin splints can't be healed but does anyone know of any way that I can lessen the pain so that I don't always have to rely on an elliptical to do my cardio exercise?

Replies

• HealthyKt78
    Options
    I get shin splints every time I walk/run on a flat surface, such as a treadmill or outside. I don't mean normal walking, I mean exercise obviously. I can't walk on a treadmill for more than 5 minutes without severe pain in my leg. I've heard shin splints can't be healed but does anyone know of any way that I can lessen the pain so that I don't always have to rely on an elliptical to do my cardio exercise?
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    You can try calf raises to strengthen those muscles.

I've also noticed that when it's time for me to get new shoes, I am more prone to shin splints. If I walk a lot, I can wear thru a pair of shoes in about 3-4 months, long before they actually look old.

Good luck!
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Go to a running shoe specialty store. They will put you on a treadmill, video you running, and depending on what they see, they will pick out the right kind of shoes for you. Even with all that, they dont cost any more than regular brand name running shoes!

When I used to run track I got shin splints all the time! Taking something like ibuprofen before running, and icing it afterwards will help. People who get shin splints keep getting them (if I run more than one day in a row, my shins start killing me, more than two days and the pain is INTENSE). So as my coach and my doctor said either deal with the pain, or stop running!

Good luck! Let me know if you figure out a way to get rid of them, cause I have never found a good way (except to not run)!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

My shins were always really sore whenever I would walk for exercise or even if I had to walk a long ways and/or was walking fast to get somewhere. They would get so sore that it was hard to even keep walking and my leg and ankle would get kind of numb from the pain. Everyone told me to keep at it and it would eventually get better but I didn't believe them. I started walking on my lunch breaks and at first it was really hard because my shins would start hurting halfway through the walk. But I kept at it, and after about two months I realized I could go much further without them hurting, and then pretty soon I got through my entire walk with no pain.

I traded in my walking shoes for a bike, but even being away from walking on a regular basis, they still don't hurt. In fact I just used the treadmill last night and I was walking really fast with no pain. Just keep at it and it will eventually go away.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Yes, shoes are very important. Another thing to try too, is to put a slight incline (1 to 2%) on the treadmill as you're walking. I had a trainer who told me that if you're running on a treadmill (and I assume it's the same for walking) at a 0% incline, it's the same as going downhill and not so good for you. Try stretching the muscle on the front of your legs, by putting the top of your toes against the vertical part of the stairs and leaning the foot forward. I've heard that wrapping your legs from just below your knee to just above your ankle may help, but I don't have any personal experience. Don't let it stop you though, if you can only do 5 minutes on there, do your elliptical workout and then pop on the treadmill to finish up. I bet you'll find you can go longer and longer after a while!
  • laird20k
    laird20k Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    When I played High School Basketball all the girls on my team got them.. We couldnt exactly rest them, which is one of the recommended treatments so we iced them each night and taped out shins when we practiced/played.. It looks and feels funny but it takes some of the pressure off your muscles when you workout..Oh and streching helps tons.. It is also helps if you use your muscles differently by running or walking downhill, uphill and in high heels (well not running, just wearing high heels)..
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should put the incline up 1 to 2 on your treadmill. Running on a treadmill is pretty unnatural, and it is much like running flat footed, which you rarely do on land. I tried doing that on cold days after I got some advice from a trainer (usually at -15degreesC or so) ...no more shin pain.
    Cheers,
    A
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    From an athletic trainer ceritified by the Ohio High School Athletic Association, shin splints are a pulled muscle on the shin that attaches to the arch of the foot. There is a simple tape job that takes only 4 strips of tape. It is to be worn 24 hours a day for 3 days.The first piece goes ouside of the ankle under your foot(arch) pulling up on the arch and up the inside of your ankle. Barely overlapping, the second and third pieces go the same way, going toward the toes. The fourth piece goes around the ankle to anchor the three other pieces. I have tried this and have seen it used on other people. It works. You can still exercise with the tape on, no days off,and use 1 1/2 inch athletic tape. (Zonas) Good Luck!
  • PurdyMommy
    PurdyMommy Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Go to a running shoe specialty store. They will put you on a treadmill, video you running, and depending on what they see, they will pick out the right kind of shoes for you. Even with all that, they dont cost any more than regular brand name running shoes!

Yeah the owners of my old gym told me the same thang. Since I quit the gym I have been running some outside and my shins dont hurt like they use too? Im not sure why that is? i still have my same cheap walmart shoes! lol
    So how long you been running? Good luck. I know mine was painfulll
  • jimswmn
    jimswmn Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    From an athletic trainer ceritified by the Ohio High School Athletic Association, shin splints are a pulled muscle on the shin that attaches to the arch of the foot. There is a simple tape job that takes only 4 strips of tape. It is to be worn 24 hours a day for 3 days.The first piece goes ouside of the ankle under your foot(arch) pulling up on the arch and up the inside of your ankle. Barely overlapping, the second and third pieces go the same way, going toward the toes. The fourth piece goes around the ankle to anchor the three other pieces. I have tried this and have seen it used on other people. It works. You can still exercise with the tape on, no days off,and use 1 1/2 inch athletic tape. (Zonas) Good Luck!

I posted pictures on my profile of what it should look like.
  • jdtrainer
    Options
    Try exercises to strengthen your tibialis anterior. That is the muscle that runs beside your shin on the front of your leg. If you are seated in a chair, with your feet flat on the floor and raise your toes off of the floor toward your shin with your heel still on the floor, you will feel your tibialis anterior. Try adding weight on your toes while flexing your foot upward. Ankle weights draped across your toes will work, so does placing one end of a dumbbell on the front of your foot with the other end resting on the floor in front of your foot. I hope that makes sense.

Good luck,
    JD
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Another athletic trainer here (jimswmn, where are you in OH? Former buckeye here!!) A few things to try in addition to the tape job.

1)- ice massage fill a paper cup 3/4 full and freeze. Peel off the top edge of the cup to expose the ice while leaing some cup to hold on to. "massage" don't just glide it over your shins. You will feel the little bumps as you go over the tissue. They will hurt at first, but after a minute or two, this will improve. Massage 5-7 min.

2) stretch the anterior of the lower leg. allow your toes to drag behind/under you (as if doing a soccer throw-in) and roll the foot from one side to the other. Or sit with your ankles off the end of a table/chair and have someone pull your toes/foot toward the ground, again varying the angle of the foot will allow you to stretch different areas

3) buy a neoprene sleeve to wear over the shin. The key is to keep the tissues warm so they are more elastic and don't "pull" which is what causes the pain.

4) warm up more slowly. Our bodies go through their own adjustment phase and you may need a longer warm-up. There is a temporary increase in blood flow to the area that when not adequately warmed, causes the pressure to increase. If you notice the pain subsides after you get going, this is probably more the case than shin splints; a totally different condtion all together!

Hope this helps!
    ~Arianne