bad posture=weak core & vice versa

Options
muth3rluvx2
muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
I have just remembered for the zillionth time that if your core is weak, you're more prone to bad posture (slouching); if you have bad posture, you probably have a weak core. At least, this is what is so for me.

Ergo, I am trying trying trying to remind myself to keep my belly button tucked in **especially** during a workout, my ribcage UP and my shoulders DOWN... aka: dancer's posture. For someone really short and short waisted, this also give me the appearance of a longer torso, slimmer waist, and being just slightly taller.

So, when you go to do your Zumba or Beach Body or P90X or Pump class or even spinning, keep some awareness on your torso and remember:

belly button IN
rib cage UP
shoulders DOWN

(isnt' there a harness for this somewhere? this is SO uncomfortable!)

Replies

• kadoodle76
    kadoodle76 Posts: 234
    Options
    I tell my son that when we do yoga and pilates. He loses balance and I tell him if he keeps the belly tight he will be more sturdy. I learned about rolling my hips in when I was pregnant and my back hurt from the big belly. It really makes you look thinner and makes you bones stronger in the long run.
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I was just slouched over the computer when I read this subject for the post........man did I pull myself up into a better position fast :-) I really slouch at the computer.....thanks for reminding me that isn't good :-)
  • BeeElleTea
    BeeElleTea Posts: 24
    Options
    This is so true! I try to straighten up and lengthen when I'm at work. If I had a dollar for every time...lol. I find I'm more aware of my core and posture after ab workouts/yoga/pilates