Do you think it's harder to lose weight when your older ?

Options

Replies

• bcbman
    bcbman Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am 64 and yes its definitely harder. I have worked out all my life but still slowly gained weight. When I retired about 8 years ago I had an extra 30 pounds or so but add 30 more as I enjoyed my retirement a tad to much. I started MFP around the beginning of June and have loss 20 pounds. I push myself really hard though and burn an extra 1000 calories from exercise everyday (weekly goal is 7000 calories a week). I don't eat back my calories. The weight comes off grudgingly even with my fairly high exercise level. The other difficult part is the body doesn't recover from exercise near as well as when young. So I have experienced many more pains and a lot of knee icing. Great thing is you can do it. The body can adapt amazingly well. Good luck with your weight loss.
  • fightingiris
    fightingiris Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Definitely! Since you don't like to exercise, how about participating in a sport? Maybe take up tennis. I hate exercising too but I love getting out there and playing (or attempting to play) tennis or soccer with the kids. How about hiking or canoeing--you know, something fun but is really exercise.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    It can be harder becaus for men your testosterone level drop and you lose muscle mass and thus burn fewer calories. Many people are simply less active as they get older and don't adjust intake to match it.
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I started my journey last year at 51 years old. I had been really inactive and exercising was a challenge in the beginning, but it can be done. Try Leslie Sansone at home DVD's, I lost my first 40-50 lbs just doing her workouts. There are still some exercises I can't do ( push ups), but I'm no longer afraid to try different workouts. I've done many Jillian Michaels and Biggest Loser workouts, 30 DS, BL Cardio Max, etc.

I'm now 52 years old, 71 lbs lighter, and feeling awesome!! I retrained my metabolism and feel like I'm in my 20's again.

So go for it!
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 and I find it harder simpley because I have a family now. You are busier when you are older, when you're young you do what you want when you want (well I did anyway!!!). I can't get to the gym as often as I like. When I'm swimming its with my3 year old, not laps up and down the pool. When I'm cooking its for 3 not just me.
    It must be very very hard if you've been unfit all your life and then you start at 50. Hats off to those on that journey!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,743 Member
    Options
    I'm now 52 years old, 71 lbs lighter, and feeling awesome!! I retrained my metabolism and feel like I'm in my 20's again.

So go for it!

YES!!! :happy:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I think it is - My CrossFit trainer is 39, not only does she CrossFit, but she teaches Spin and she's a dragonboater (she's going to worlds this weekend in Tampa!) Her nutrition is spot on, but in the last year she's put on 13 pounds and having trouble losing it!

I've been crossfitting for over a year now, and while it's taken off inches, I haven't lost a whole lot of weight. But I think that's the point - we don't just want to lose weight, but change our body composition.

For those of you fighting the scale READ THIS: http://everydaypaleo.com/2011/06/22/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I am 50 and have been a YoYo dieter so my metabolism is a bit damaged from that. I am also an Overeater which means that I simply eat beyond stomach fullness and therefore STORE those extra calories. This has become a deeply ingrained habit and one that is hard to break.

I mention the above issues because it might not simply be the "number" in our age that automatically makes weight loss so difficutlt but the longer amount of time we have been "abusing" our bodies compared to younger folks.
    I won't deny that, yes, our bodies change with age and those changes can contribute to slow weight loss, etc but that's not the only thing.......just something to think about.

As for some fun exercise: I LOVE Zumba, Yoga, Pilates, Riding my Bike, Taking a Walk OUTSIDE or on a BEACH or with my DOGS, gardening.

My traditional exercising includes Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30 and soon I'll be doing her Kettlebell workout. I don't mind doing these because I am seeing some REAL changes in my body so it's not so bad.

Hope this helps and hang in there!!
  • StormChaser217
    StormChaser217 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill and it's new , but it is a manual treadmill and I just cannot get it going right . I use to have a exercise bike and got rid of it because I did not have the room for it . I still do not have the room for one , but I miss having it . I use to exercise like 10 minutes at a time and that would round out to about 40 minutes a day . Now nothing zer0 . I keep thinking where could I sit one at . we live in an apartment . I am thinking of doing Tai Chi again , I did that before I think it is a relaxing exercise ( relaxing for the mind ) . Thank you all for your suggestions . I will take them into account .
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Nope and never. Look at Earnestine Shepard (http://ernestineshepherd.net/). Also I've had many MFP friends are older but no trouble doing it at all.

It's about:
    * will power, self control
    * doing it the healthy and smart way
    * making it a lifestyle
    * learn to enjoy the process
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    My mother is around the same age as you and does pilates which she really enjoys. She also does Zumba which she absolutely LOVES

My mom is 58 and loves squash (30+ years now) and curling (5+ years).

Curling you can do into your 80's, out of the day-time ladies (the non-working women's group, the business-women play in the evening) she's the yongest by far!

You have to try out exercises and sports and see what you like. What have you enjoyed doing the past 52 years?
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I just turned 51 and I know it is definitely harder to lose weight for me now than it was 20 years ago. I do cardio 4x a week and have been very diligent about eating well. It's coming off but very slow. I'm not anxious about it though. Not anymore. No pressure. As long as the scale continues to go down I'm happy; plus eating healthy and exercising is good for my health. As far as exercise I started out walking very briskly then built up to jog and elliptical machine. P.S. I like your user name. My husband is a meteorologist and has thankfully declined storm chasing in Oklahoma when we were dating.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    ... I hate to exercise . Can anyone tell me about some that would be more enjoyable to me .?

What kind of exercises are you doing or trying to do that you hate? One thing about exercising is to find something you enjoy doing. Then once you started enjoying, add a few different exercises (even the one you like less) to change around a little bit (don't let your body get used to a specific routine)
  • ziggy67
    ziggy67 Posts: 351
    Options
    Most definitely.....I am 55 and I struggle to maintain my weight loss now I am older. I always aim to burn 3,500 calories a week through walking, swimming, water aerobics and just generally moving myself.....I take every opportunity to keep active and increase my calorie burn. Walking up the stairs instead of taking the lift or escalator...parking further away from the shops etc....it all adds up and it all helps. The only solution for us oldies is to MOVE...MOVE....MOVE!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    Yes it's harder to lose weight as you get older. Your metabolism slows down as you age.

You don't necessarily need to exercise to lose weight, and it's far easier to lose weight by controlling caloric intake vs exercising. 1lb of fat is approx 3,500 calories. It's easier to reduce intake by that much than it is to exercise that much off.

But exercising will improve your fitness level and, depending upon intensity level, can boost up your metabolism.
    I will disagree here. As you age you also lose lean muscle tissue. The less muscle you have to "hold you up" the more pressure is shifted to the joints. Now the joints are holding you up and are wearing away cartilage faster which can lead to osteoarthritis. This is why it's not uncommon as you age and are sedentary to have so many joint issues.
    It's important to try to maintain lean muscle as you age and you do that through strength training and exercise.
  • mamaw53
    mamaw53 Posts: 71
    Options
    It is definitely harder, but it is doable. When I was younger, I could eat more and still lose weight. I lost 25 pounds in 3 months and have maintained it for 2 months so far. I can't eat as much junk food as I use to, so I limit the junk and eat a lot more fruits and vegetables. I LOVE walking and gardening so that is my major source of exercise. Good luck and God bless you on your journey.
  • Avsdre
    Avsdre Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You should be focusing on adding some strength training to your plan to preserve the muscle mass that remains and eventually to increase it. If you're female, you should also be interested in strength training to ward off osteoporosis as long as possible.

Thank you for saying this! After the age of 40, it is so important for women to engage in strength training AND weight-bearing exercise to help prevent bone loss. Weight-bearing exercise is as easy as a 30 minute walk a day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to focus more on gaining muscle than losing weight as we age... he says it's harder to put on muscle as we age, and that is one of the things that keeps us healthier longer (more fit, more active, etc.). I am only 37, but I believe this might apply to you, too. To this end, I am adding circuit training/ light weights to my exercise a day or two a week to help build muscle.
    I agree with pp that it is more down to diet than it is to exercise as you age.....
    You don't build muscle with light weights. Muscle grows from overload and light weights don't do that. Also you have to be in calorie surplus. What you are doing right now is just keeping it active which helps to reduce muscle loss during weight loss.
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yes it's harder to lose weight as you get older. Your metabolism slows down as you age.

You don't necessarily need to exercise to lose weight, and it's far easier to lose weight by controlling caloric intake vs exercising. 1lb of fat is approx 3,500 calories. It's easier to reduce intake by that much than it is to exercise that much off.

But exercising will improve your fitness level and, depending upon intensity level, can boost up your metabolism.
    I will disagree here. As you age you also lose lean muscle tissue. The less muscle you have to "hold you up" the more pressure is shifted to the joints. Now the joints are holding you up and are wearing away cartilage faster which can lead to osteoarthritis. This is why it's not uncommon as you age and are sedentary to have so many joint issues.
    It's important to try to maintain lean muscle as you age and you do that through strength training and exercise.

Uh, what exactly are you disagreeing with?!?! Not trying to make this a I'm right and you're wrong type of posting here but I don't see where you're disputing or disproving my contentions. You raise some very good concerns (e.g. joint issues, loss of muscle mass), but what did "I" point out that you disagree with? More curious than anything.
  • momcindy
    momcindy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It's definitely harder for me, whatever the reasons.