frustrated.

Options
hey guys - I'm going through a bit of a hard time with this process recently. since last August, I've lost 20 pounds and am very happy about that! I'm currently ten pounds away from my goal weight. but, recently I've felt like my weight loss is taking SO long and I don't know why. there are very, very long periods of time (which I'm experiencing now) where my weight doesn't change. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

every morning I have plain chobani, fresh fruit, and a half a cup of Kashi go lean crunch all together.
for lunch I have a salad of some sort.
I have fruit or a granola bar for a snack
for dinner I eat a variety of things, but I always have protein. last night I had chicken and broccoli, tonight I had low fat meat loaf and green beans. after dinner I usually have some sort of snack, whether it's more yogurt or more fruit.

I work out five times a week for at least 30 minutes each time. I burn around 300 - 400 calories each work out.

can someone PLEASE please please tell me why I'm not losing weight anymore?! it was going fine at first and now I'm in a huge rut. should I change up what I'm eating and add more variety? ANY advice is greatly appreciated! I am so tempted to just give up and settle with losing 20 pounds instead of 30.

Replies

• quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day?
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Maybe weight shouldn't be what you focus on. Focus on muscle gain and fat loss and less on weight. Weight is just a number that is a composition of too many things.
  • ashleymmc20
    ashleymmc20 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Eat more calories for a few days! That has been known to bust through plateaus! It worked for me! And there's no harm in trying it, either.
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I t could be two things one you are close to your goal weight, thats when you start losing weight slowly..trust me it takes for ever. Two the amount of calories that you are eating. Are you going over sodium, sugars, or high in carbs?
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    I'm in the exact same place right now... we get thinner, it's more difficult to lose weight. You are exercising so that creates muscle mass... you might be looking thinner but weighing the same. I think it's normal.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Start monitoring actual sodium. It occurs naturally in a lot of food, and target for less than 1500mg per day. Also, are you sleeping well? with all the lights off and the television off? at least 7 hours a night. Your body needs time to recover and sleep helps boost your metabolism. Lack of sleep slows your metabolism.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    sorry you're experiencing this. I can relate--I was stuck for over a year after a "mystery" gain of 10 lbs., then another 5 more. How does someone who works out every day gain weight?

I couldn't figure it out until I found MFP and the thread called FOR THE PEOPLE WHO WORK OUT LIKE CRAZY AND AREN'T LOSING:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing

It made the light bulb go on for me and in 2 mos. I've dropped 13 of those 15 lbs.

hope it is helpful.

blessings.