zucchini in turkey/hamburgers...how much to mix in

stc74
stc74 Posts: 297 Member
I've heard of shredding zucchini and adding it to turkey/hamburger patties. About what ratio did you mix it in? Did you try freezing patties to cook later?

Replies

• ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    I have never done that with zucchini, but have done it with mushrooms (portabella's) and I did about a 1/2 to 3/4 cup of finely diced mushrooms per pound of ground beef. It would probably be similar with the zucchini.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Here's something that might help you out with that, this was a recipe I found last Summer and it sounded delicious!:tongue:

Turkey Burgers with Zucchini
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/05/turkey-burgers-with-zucchini.html
    (for photos)

Turkey Burgers with Zucchini

Servings: 5 • Serving Size:
    Calories: 156 • Fat: 6.8 g • Protein: 18.6 g • Carb: 5.5 g • Fiber: 1.3 g

1.25 lbs 93% lean ground turkey
    1 small zucchini, grated
    1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
    1 clove garlic, grated
    1 tbsp red onion, grated
    salt and fresh pepper
    oil spray
    In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, zucchini, breadcrumbs, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Make 5 equal patties.

For best results: use a hand grater to grate the zucchini, onion and garlic super fine. Get the pan hot before you put the burgers on to get a nice sear, then lowered the flame to the lowest setting to let the burgers cook all the way through, turning a few times so the burgers don't burn.

Heat a large skillet on high heat. When hot, lightly spray oil. Add burgers to the pan and reduce the heat to low. Cook on one side until browned, then flip. Flip over a few times to prevent burning and to make sure the burgers are cooked all the way through.

This was great for so many reasons! Not only did they taste great, adding zucchini also lowered the calories and fat per serving, it made one extra burger and what a great way to get your picky kids to eat their vegetables. This made 5 big burgers. Serve them on 1 Point hamburger buns and top with lettuce, tomatoes, red onion slices, pickles, ketchup or mustard (add extra points). My final burger with the bun, ketchup, lettuce, onion came out to 4 points.

**The above note is from the website and it appears it's a WW site so I left in the point value for those using WW. I've not yet made these but they sound yum and plan on making them today! I doubt I'll use a bun and will simply cook them up, freeze some and serve mine with brown rice or a nice green salad or both. Still deciding :)
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    I have never done that with zucchini, but have done it with mushrooms (portabella's) and I did about a 1/2 to 3/4 cup of finely diced mushrooms per pound of ground beef. It would probably be similar with the zucchini.
    mmm yum! That combo sounds wonderful as well. Thanks for sharing your method:wink::flowerforyou:
  • smrfyross
    smrfyross Posts: 11 Member
    I can say that skinny taste recipe is the BEST! We have them every week almost and my 7 year old even loves them. The zucchini makes the burgers SO moist! Which is great since turkey burgers are often very dry. Just talking about it is making me wish it was on my menu this week! :)