Ramen Noodles

Options
Are these ok to eat every now and then? I need something quick and cheap tonight!

Replies

• amartine
    amartine Posts: 125
    Options
    Are these ok to eat every now and then? I need something quick and cheap tonight!
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Occationally is fine, but they are really not that great for you. Very high in sodium and not a ton of nutrition.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    High calorie, low nutritional value, high sodium= not a good choice.

That said, ANYTHING is ok to eat once in awhile.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    If it figures into your calories then go for it.

Be warned...I actually stopped buying these for my son when I learned the sodium content in them. It isn't just high, it is seriously high, and as you know the higher the sodium the more water your body will retain.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options

Be warned...I actually stopped buying these for my son when I learned the sodium content in them. It isn't just high, it is seriously high, and as you know the higher the sodium the more water your body will retain.
    That was exactly my thought as I was reading this!!
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options

Great minds think alike. :bigsmile:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options

Great minds think alike. :bigsmile:
    Exactly my dear!!! :wink: :laugh:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    The noodles themselves aren't that bad for you....it's the flavor packet that is loaded.
    I teach my students to cook the noodles and use them in a cheap stir-fry.
    They love it.
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    The noodles themselves aren't that bad for you....it's the flavor packet that is loaded.
    I teach my students to cook the noodles and use them in a cheap stir-fry.
    They love it.

Good idea!
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Ramen noodles are our staple for the flu. But that is the only time we eat them. It helps to kick start you again...but only when you need the extra salt and are dehydrated
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    The noodles aren't very healthy either. They contain 7 grams of fat per serving which is quite high for noodles. Most pasta is almost fat free. This also makes them higher in calories. There are lots of alternatives that are a better choice. Soba noodles, Rice noodles, spaghetti...

That being said, I agree with the group, if you count them they are fine now and then.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Yup, we had to put a limit on how many times a week our kids could eat them during the summer. Otherwise they would have eaten them every day!:noway: Of course, I ate them a TON when I was in college, and they didn't bother me any (oh for the days of a size 5 and could eat anything and everything without gaining an ounce!).
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    I agree with everyone, the sodium is so bad! But that being said, I still eat them occasionally when I'm broke, lol. Can't beat 6 for a dollar
  • cupcake568
    cupcake568 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I lived on these things in college
  • HEALTHJUNKIE
    Options
    On top of the sodium and MSG that the spice packet contains, the vast majority of the ramen noodle brands are fried. I eat them occasionally, but I call it a cheat.....