Need friends who are working the OA 12 steps

Options
:happy: Hi! my name is Brandi and I have about 150 lbs to lose. That feels so overwhelming. I recently began attending OA and realize that I really need to work the 12 steps. Dieting alone won't fix my issues. I have a long history of dieting and gaining to back that statement up! LOL! If you are a member of OA, please friend me and we can support eachother in taking it one day at a time. I am also looking for a sponsor. There aren't a lot of OA members or sponsors in my area. Thanks!

Replies

• Andrea_Reid
    Options
    Hello, I went to an OA meeting in my area and didn't like how the meeting was ran. They had strange food plans that differed from what I had read about OA. I am addicted to food and would love the support of an OA memeber. Feel free to add me if you would like. I have a long journey ahead of me and have battled the up and down road alone for a long time, Good luck
  • GuruRas
    GuruRas Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Brandi,

I'm back in OA after 15 years. I'm going to my first 12 Step/Traditions Study group meeting tonight.

Would love more OA friends here on MFP.

Blessings,
    GuruRas
  • willaful
    willaful Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm new here, currently working step 6. Would love to connect with others.
  • kathym1971
    Options
    I have been seriously considering attending an OA meeting. There is no denying I am a food addict, but something (maybe pride?) has kept me from seeking out help. Instead, I just keep dieting/gaining back, dieting/gaining back, believing I can conquer the problem on my own...this vicious cycle has gone on for 10+ years.

Can any of you tell me what to expect from a meeting or from the OA program in general? I appreciate any advice so I can figure out if OA is going to be my best option. I don't have a very good support system at home...my husband just keeps telling me "mind over matter" or "it's all in your head". I think because I put on such a brave face to the world, he (or anyone else) doesn't understand how much my issues with overeating are affecting me inside and out.

So input from someone who understands will be helpful. Thanks!
  • willaful
    willaful Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The one thing you're guaranteed to find at an OA meeting is understanding. Every person there will have shared your experience. There's not a thing you've thought or felt or done that someone else there hasn't thought or felt or done.

In my area, meetings generally are done in a sharing format, with no cross talk. That means no one interrupts you or comments on what you have to share. You can listen without sharing. Meetings generally have a specific focus. Some read from OA literature, some read from AA literature, some are on specific topics or for specific populations.

OA is a spiritual program, but you don't have to be religious. You don't have to be anything. "The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop eating compulsively."
  • kathym1971
    Options
    Thanks so much for the information...I appreciate it.
  • shiva108
    shiva108 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I recently went back to OA. It does not endorse or promote and specific food plan. I find the support invaluable.

Wishing you all health happiness and may all your dreams come true
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I've thought about attending OA meetings from time to time in the past but most of the meetings in my area are not close to where I am or the meeting hours are at odds with my work schedule; however, with the help of this app, the friends and community support on here along with the way of eating (WOE) I now follow (Keto), I've been able to successfully eliminate 120 pounds. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • moongoddessofnight
    Options
    I really would like to have some friends that knows about oa because I feel I need to go to a 12 step program , maybe friends that know how it feels to not be perfect can help me make it through a day , please add me
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Never said I was perfect by any means. I've struggled with my weight and food my ENTIRE life. I got lucky in that I finally found something works for me (Thank you God!).