fat burning pills

Options
Hi everyone, I'm a little new at this diet thing and i was told that if you take fat burning pills , it will help you burn more calories, If so can anyone give me suggestion on the best one, and if it's a load of bull can someone give me ideas on how to burn more calories ontop of exercises .
thanks

Replies

• deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    They don't work. Eat better, exercise more, and don't push yourself. Even if you lose weight from pills you're not going to take pills the rest of your life, are you? Only lifestyle changes keep the weight off. Not pills.

Hope that's helpful :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    fat burning pills can really screw you up.... i tried them and whilst i was doing absolutely nothing but resting my hrm went up to 300 and i thought i was going to have a heart attack

lifting weights helps you lose calories faster than just cardio because it increases your metabolism :)
  • jluthersw
    jluthersw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do not take them because they make you VERY jittery and make your heart race!! I do not know if they really work but the idea of that does not make me want to try it. I took one once and could not stop shaking, and I could feel my heart rate JUMPING!! It's up to you but my advice is to stay far away.
  • lisapickering
    Options
    MFP is a great tool and it works. Just do your exercise and the eat the number of calories that MFP tells you to (to get to a net zero at the end of the day) and you will lose weight. Be patient and just keep going. This isn't going to happen overnight but it will happen. IT WORKS!! I am 80% to my goal weight. Don't waste your time and money with pills.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm a little new at this diet thing and i was told that if you take fat burning pills , it will help you burn more calories, If so can anyone give me suggestion on the best one, and if it's a load of bull can someone give me ideas on how to burn more calories ontop of exercises .
    thanks

So no to drugs...

Seriously, there is no proof or scientific evidence behind weight loss or fat burning pills. You are better off eating stuff like red peppers, green tea, avocado, etc... that have been proven to increase your metabolism. The biggest thing to increase your metabolism and this is 100% guarenteed; muscle! Get a good exercise routine of cardio and weight lifting (3 days each is optimal).
  • RinaMax
    RinaMax Posts: 33
    Options
    I have had great success with OxyElite Pro. Read up on it first of course. There are tons of reviews out there on it. But that being said, you do not need to take fat burning pills if you eat well and exercise enough. What this particular pill will help with is with controlling your appetite and giving you energy. The great thing is that I never had any of those nasty side effects of other pills like excessive sweating or being excessively edgy.

Like I said though, do your research and make sure it's for you. You can sometimes get trial packets from GNC for free. But don 't buy it there, it's way cheaper online.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you are any different than anyone else BUT... what do you expect will happen when you stop taking "Fat Burning Pills"?

Take into account possible side effects and ask yourself are these worth it?

Healthy living and lifestyle changes will get you further in the long run.

But then I am not a doctor, dietition or health care professional... (and I don't play one on TV :wink: ) I have however lost over 100 pounds thru hard work and healthy living. I can tell you that there is no such thing as a quick fix and that if something sounds too good to be true... it usually is.
  • jkcools
    jkcools Posts: 66
    Options
    I have found that eating right and more exercise is the absolute best way to go. I have not used pills this time around and I see way better results.
  • diana109
    diana109 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I tried fat burning pills or "diet" pills a long time ago when I was a teenager and all they did was make me feel sick, maybe it was the brand I don't know but they never really worked for me. To many chemicals in most brands that are just not worth putting into my body. The best thing that worked for me was exercise and eating healthy. Sometimes you can't get away from the exercise! Good luck!
  • PeytonSwan
    PeytonSwan Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Absolutely leave your hands off diet pills , I took them and ended up in hospital actually fighting for my life.
    I was dehydrating and I didn't even take the amount which was recommended on the description. (i took less)

There are some small tricks which help like drinking cold water, go showering under cold water - it's good against cellulite and lets your body burn calories to get your normal body temperature again.
    And after exercising , don't touch heavy food , just eat fruit or a lovely salad !
    Green Tea is also good to keep your metabolism going :)! Or spice up your food with pepper or chili , everything spicy gets your metabolism going and firing off calories !
  • tamclemons0921
    tamclemons0921 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't use them. Everyone is right, they will raise your heart rate, which over time is no good. If your trying to speed things up, short term only, workout twice a day.
  • SuperHeroRipped
    Options
    most fat burners increase your caloric burn by 60-120 cal a day. what you want to look for is something with 200mg of caffeine, 100mg of green tea extract. those are the two primary ingredients in most burners. Then i would add something like Lipolean its an omega 3,cla, pyruvite pill that will help with abdominal fat. Those 5 things have been proven in several studys to help burn fat when combined with a well balanced diet. Hope that helps
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Some are so loaded with HIGH DOSES OF CAFFEINE, it's very dangerous to your heart rate and rhythm. Others are "fat blocking" and cause a lot of gastric distress, abdominal discomfort, uncontrollable diarrhea and can play havoc with those who have chronic bowel problems.

BETTER: accurately weigh, measure everything that goes in your mouth; level off all excess quantities and record it on MFP. There is no quick fix.

If you choose to go with the "diet pills", you can expect to regain that lost weight back very, very quickly along with added fat pounds. The body builds NEW FAT CELLS after dieting and relapsing back to piling on the weight. Those added fat cells are even more difficult to shed over the long haul. It's why you see many who have lost weight with a lot of excess belly fat.
  • RinaMax
    RinaMax Posts: 33
    Options
    Oh and just to add to my prior post. The only reason it helped for me is that I take it in conjunction with eating healthy and working out 6 days a week for a total of 8 hours.. What it would do for you without eating well and working out, I don't know; but likely not much.

Also, I drink 9-12 glasses of water a day. Drinking a lot of water is important to stay hydrated.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I take supplements that are beneficial to a healthy lifestyle. One happens to contain caffeine, which I need since I gave up diet soda. Most are vitamin supplements like liquid B12, zinc, and Vitamin C, which contribute to elevated energy levels. I toss in chromium to help control insulin levels.

As with anything, always talk to a doc and see what they say. Mine suggested, for energy purposes, supplements with guarana and yerba.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    goodness, I must be dense, because I REALLY thought this was another joke thread....So, NO to diet pills, unless you ask your doctor and do your research. They can make your heart race so fast that you will feel nauseous and its just not pretty at all.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    <---- Lost 44 pounds in 6 months WITHOUT using any "quick fix" products. Myfitnesspal is all you need. Everything else is a waste of money.

Losing weight is easy.... anyone who says differently is trying to sell you something. The difficult part is self control. They don't make a pill, shake, shot, or powder for that.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Absolutely leave your hands off diet pills , I took them and ended up in hospital actually fighting for my life.
    I was dehydrating and I didn't even take the amount which was recommended on the description. (i took less)

There are some small tricks which help like drinking cold water, go showering under cold water - it's good against cellulite and lets your body burn calories to get your normal body temperature again.
    And after exercising , don't touch heavy food , just eat fruit or a lovely salad !
    Green Tea is also good to keep your metabolism going :)! Or spice up your food with pepper or chili , everything spicy gets your metabolism going and firing off calories !
    Protein after exercise, always. Gotta have protein to repair the damaged muscles.