Work burning a lot of calories?

Options
I was curious just how many calories I should expect to have burned from working 8 hours a day. I am on my feet for at least 7 of the hours over all and am usually back and forth between a few places in the work place. Now the app for this site said that standing for 7-8 hours burns about 1800 calories? Is this really right or is it WAY out of proportion?
Thank you.

NOTE: Also, my pedometer says usually 3000-6000 steps by the time I'm done working.

Replies

• barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i dont think so lol...standin burns like 25 more calories than sitting, so id say 25*8= 200... plus extra running around +100.. 300 maxxx
  • robinlc323
    robinlc323 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine that is accurate......try a pedometer...my ipod has one and calculates calories burned.:smile:
  • Crystalchaos72
    Options
    I wouldn't reccomend using work as exercise. I wore my hrm at work for 8 hrs, on a slow/light night I burned 1600 cals, on a heavy night it was 2300. My body is used to it I just use purposeful exercise like walks, weight training and jazzercise. I am a stocker in a huge retailer and I sweat my @ss off all night, no matter light/heavy workload.
  • janel814
    janel814 Posts: 88
    Options
    You could invest in a Body Bugg. It is a device that you wear all day to calculate cals burned. It is the same device they use on the Biggest Loser for the competitors. I have one and I love it. It is expensive but it is a very good investment.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Really I wouldn't count these calories. The calories you burned from moving around would simply be placed under a sedentary lifestyle. You'd still be burning calories for 8 hours if you were simply lying on your bed, or sleeping. This would only be helpful if you were trying to personalize your BMR, but I wouldn't get too picky on that