How do you count calories when juicing?

Options
arotella
arotella Posts: 98 Member
My power juicer just arrived in the mail (YAY!) and I would like to start incorporating fruit/veggie juice in my daily diet starting tomorrow morning. Question is, how do I count these calories? Obviously eating one whole apple will be more calories than simply drinking the juice from the apple.
I found an article at Ehow.com (http://www.ehow.com/how_5155227_count-calories-juicing.html) stating you should multiply the number of fiber by 4 (since 1 gram of fiber = 4 calories) and subtract that number from the total amount of calories in the food. That's my plan for now, but I am wondering how accurate this article is. Any suggestions or experience with this?

BTW... I checked and there are some "fresh juice" options in MFP's database, but I don't 100% trust that it was added in correctly. I prefer to double check the math! ;)

Thanks!

Replies

• peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    That is a good question, however if your juicer juices the large majority of the veggie and fruit then I would just log it as the entire veggie.
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Would be interested in learning this as well! Sorry I am of no help!!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    mmm, that's interesting. I just add whatever I put in it. I know I'm cheating myself, but I never bothered to look up an alternative.