Dieting and running a half marathon

Hi lovlies!!!

I am running a half marathon in September (nike run to the beat), and was wondering if anyone trying to lose weight and who has to train their fitness and stamina has any tips on what to eat so you still have energy but won't put on weight!

I am trying to avoid pasta and white flour and go for brown rice and wholemeal bread etc... but I went for a run yesterday and could hardly manage because I was oh so tired!

Is anyone or has anyone been in the same boat? Would love to hear you stories :)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    If it was me, i would move away from a diet while training, and concentrate on healthy eating at maintenance that gets you all the nutrients you need. you will probably find that you will lose weight and definitely tone up while ur training anyway.
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    I did 4 half marathons over the course of a year last year - I did them as a challenge but also to lose weight. My advice would be to eat oats/porridge with apple or banana (or nuts I suppose) before longer runs (anything over 6 miles). 6 miles and below I ran on an empty stomach, but that's choice, not because it's better or anything.

Biggest thing I learned was how much I ran gave me fewer calories than I thought - 12 miles was about 900 calories. Bummer! An HRM will probably be a good bet, but otherwise I'd say just eat clean as much as you can, lay off the booze, and enjoy baths!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    What I had to do was keep a VERY minimal calorie deficit. Otherwise I had no energy to run. And depending on the time of day you run, especially if its later, make sure you eat enough all day and aren't trying to cram down a bunch of food afterwards.
  • TheMrsBee
    TheMrsBee Posts: 226 Member
    I doing a half marathon in a few weeks, and my personal trainer told me to eat a balanced pasta meal the night before and then have porridge/oats the morning of a run/jog. He also said that rather than seeing how much further you can go each time you go for a run to train, you should do different distances to keep your body 'awake' so when you finally get to 'the day of the race' your body won't be trying to hold you back and your mind won't be saying, oh god we have done this and your not gonna like it. I keep ranging from 2-3/4 miles each run i do, but this weekend i'm going to join my 2 loops (around my area) together and do 7-8 miles for the first time and see how i get on. then on sunday i will just do a small 2 mile loop.

I don't run/jog every day, and the days i don't run/jog, i do other training like, weights, boxing and lunges etc to strengthen my legs and bum for an easier run.

I hope this helps
  • Wow thanks for all the replies, I find everything really helpful :)

It is strange because when I ran my last half marathon, I ended up putting ON weight... and not because of muscle! I think I thought I could get away with eating bigger pasta portions etc because I was going to burn it off, but I suppose this time I have to be less greedy! x
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Here's an article that you might find helpful. I am always trying to lean out before my races. This year I actually did it with the help of MFP, so Im thrilled. This article from Runner's World gives you some great tips to maintain your energy level and maybe drop a few pounds in the meantime. Good luck!!!

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-310-7771-0,00.html

Personally I have found that I focus on eating healthy so much that I eat too much.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    you can sort of restrict calories a bit when training for a half, but low carb is likely to be a bad idea. Carbs and protein are what will give you your best performance and endurance
  • runrogrun
    runrogrun Posts: 36 Member
    I am currently training for a half marathon too - Oxford Half at the end of Sept. I have done several before and always ended up the same weight or even putting on weight cos I think I can eat what I like and then I get greedy!

This time I am logging all my exercise on MFP (3 runs of 3-5 miles a week and one long run at weekends) and eating back the calories but not more. A mix of potatoes / veg, wholewheat pasta, bread and protein to make up the calories, and ideally not too much crap food (but the odd treat of course :smile: )

I feel better training this time than I have done on Halfs in the past (and one full marathon) with less toredness and more energy so I think it must be having a positive effect? I am going for a PB so fingers crossed anyway........!
  • runrogrun
    runrogrun Posts: 36 Member
    Also I meant to say, I did Run to the Beat last year! There was massive delays at the start but other than that it was a good run....and only two hills :smile:
  • Wow thanks Atsteele, that articule is really useful!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    i wanted to do run to the beat, but left it too late :(
  • blondiebrooke
    blondiebrooke Posts: 15 Member
    Hi everyone!
    i am training for a half marathon this October. I'm nervous but hopeful i can lose weight as well. any tips or suggestions would be great!! This is my first marathon and have only done 5K's before this.
    Thanks!