How are you with moderation?

Options
Are you the sort of person that can have a little of what you like in moderation or do you need to go nuts and completely cut things out of your diet to resist the temptation to splurge?

Replies

• hunsford
    hunsford Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've tried both and am not very good at either one... :)
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i don't have any binge-triggering foods in the house. I have a vitatop a day, which keeps my chocolate addiction in check and my freezer is stocked with weight watchers and skinny cow ice cream.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    haha I'm a taster, I can totally just take one bite of something. I find I really just want to know what it tastes like and I feel cheated if I don't get that one taste. So when my fiance asks for a cookie or something like that, I take a bite and then it's all his. Usually the first bites the best one anyway. I smell food a lot too.......especially the damn donuts they bring to work.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow is a godsend!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    depends on my mood...sometimes i can stop at just one home made cookie or one cup cake, other days i eat 10. i dont really have a food i flat out have a problem with binging on. sometimes i like sweets, sometimes i like carbs, sometimes i like fried foods, somedays i could binge on fruits...
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I am really good about moderation, but was never too keen on junk food to begin with. I'd take my veggie chips over a lot of junk food. I actually like having things in the house. For some reason, just knowing it is there comforts me.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    haha I'm a taster, I can totally just take one bite of something. I find I really just want to know what it tastes like and I feel cheated if I don't get that one taste. So when my fiance asks for a cookie or something like that, I take a bite and then it's all his. Usually the first bites the best one anyway. I smell food a lot too.......especially the damn donuts they bring to work.

I envy you! The taste just makes me want more! I have to go with an out of sight, out of mind mentality. No biscuits etc in the house (not easy with a boyfriend who isn't on a diet and likes sweet treats). I'm thinking of switching to a vegan diet for a while to really help reinforce my 'don't touch that cheese/chocolate/cake' mentality.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I have enough self control to say no to things. I've got my favourite snack food in the house and they're all mine because the O/H doesn't like them. Gourmet lollipops! Abolutely delishious! But even though I have ten in the cupboard...and a tick of pink rock...I haven't touched them in weeks and only will if I feel snacky and have the calories left over at the end of the day for one.
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat whatever I'm craving in moderation to prevent me from bingeing. I think about it long and hard before I indulge because sometimes, it really isn't a craving and it passes. However, if I am craving it for a day or two, then I will succumb to it so that I can get past it.
  • MistyDC29
    MistyDC29 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    For anything except pasta, I am good with. But you let me at some pasta, I am going to eat it until it's gone or I burst. It's awful really. So, I try to stay away from it. And every now and then, I will save my calories to have some.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    I prefer to eat whatever I'm craving in moderation to prevent me from bingeing. I think about it long and hard before I indulge because sometimes, it really isn't a craving and it passes. However, if I am craving it for a day or two, then I will succumb to it so that I can get past it.

Day or two? That's impressive willpower!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options

I envy you! The taste just makes me want more! I have to go with an out of sight, out of mind mentality. No biscuits etc in the house (not easy with a boyfriend who isn't on a diet and likes sweet treats). I'm thinking of switching to a vegan diet for a while to really help reinforce my 'don't touch that cheese/chocolate/cake' mentality.

hehe I take that one bite of his, and then I get myself something healthier while he is eating that. Like last night I took a bite of his cookie and then I got a nice dill pickle. I also hide my snacks, usually my favorite granola bars, don't know why they just feel more indulgent when i get them from their hiding place haha
  • runner328
    runner328 Posts: 174
    Options
    95% of the time I am good with moderation. The only time a binge on something is special occasion food I know I will on get maybe once a year.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm incredible with moderation. I really can have ONE potato chip. But I don't really care for potato chips, so that's not a fair assessment. :wink:

But seriously, I think one of the biggest reasons this has worked for me is because I continued to eat the foods I love. The biggest change was adding MORE foods... more variety. More fruit, more veggies, more fish or shrimp... Less Butterfingers. But I can have candy bars in the house. I just don't grab three at a time every time I pass through the kitchen. If I have the calories, I'll eat 'em. If I don't, I don't. It's more breaking from the habit of mindlessly grazing. Plus, if I'm hungry between meals, I'd rather reach for a cup of blueberries or cherries. Mmmmmmm.... Nature's candy!
  • Maria_81
    Maria_81 Posts: 152
    Options
    I've become very good with moderation and cutting back. However, my tastes for certain kinds of foods have changed, so the foods I used to crave I'm no longer interested anymore. Taste is important to an extent, but I don't care for foods that don't have any nutritional value and would only cause me to gain weight. Sure, I've been tempted and given in, but I'm reminded of how horrible I'll feel later on.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Ive actually proved to be pretty good!! I can now eat 1/2 cup of ice cream instead of the whole tub like I used to lol. Knowing I don't have to limit myself has put me in check with portions and not binging. Back when I used to cut out all the junk food, I would crave it so much, Id binge and diet would be over. This way, I KNOW I can have a little and that satisfies me to not eat the whole carton.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    For the most part, I'm great with moderation and it gets better all the time. It helps though to keep bad stuff out of the house or at least make sure those bad things are "his" and I know if I have some, he'll know and give me grief about it. There has been ice cream - that's right, ICE CREAM and I'm talkin' Haggan Daz here people - in my freezer for at least 2 months now and I've only had a few spoonfulls (I was sick, it's forgivable). Trust me, this is an improvement! Before I started gaining control, I would've eaten the whole thing and bought another one hoping he wouldn't notice. And I might've done that more than once. Wow, that's tough to admit but it's true, that's what I used to do!

I do have days when I go a bit overboard - like last night, we had pizza and I was still in extra hungry mode recovering from a run on Tuesday so I ate a bit too much. But I'm ok with it and am going to make up for it by having an extra good day today.
  • snowsflake
    snowsflake Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I do still have a little problem with moderation, so if it's something that I think I'll eat so much of that I will feel like crap afterwards I just won't eat it at all. That usually involves pizza, my major trigger food. I do eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, so I don't feel bad about not eating those in moderation. Other than that I choose not to eat certain foods - fast food, fried food, junk food, etc. Well, except a cupcake every now and then! :glasses:
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    For me it's definitely about the moderation. If I try to give things up completely it almost always backfires and I end up eating something worse or more of it. I don't have a lot of particular trigger foods, for me it's more certain situations that are hard to manage. I've gotten much better about boredom or emotional eating, but stress can still cause me to crave carbs. I also tend to eat more in social situations, so have to pay attention to that.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    I eat a Mcdonald's Cheeseburger at least 2 times a week. Just don't have any fries with it. Same with ice cream and chocolate.
    Of course I counter any type of excess caloric intake with exercise.