Insanity or P90X?

Options
I was wondering for those of you who have experience with these which one is better? Trying to decide which one to get...any feedback would be appreciated :smile:

Replies

• cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I am going to do both, currently doing Insanity. From what I understand, Insanity is more cardio with some strength training (using your own body) and P90X is some cardio, more strength training (bands or dumbells, pull up bar and yoga). Some say one is harder, others say the opposite. I love Insanity!
  • BotsMomJ
    BotsMomJ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    INSANITY!! (P90X is boring)
  • tinamarie204
    Options
    I agree....P90X is great if you are just getting into working out. But I like Insanity, plan on buying the next version Asylum to add to it. TurboFire is pretty good too, It really gets you moving.
  • catanzca
    catanzca Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm with botsfordjacy, P90X is kind of boring and the workouts are NEVER ENDING compared to INSANITY. I am a little biased though because I am obsessed with Insanity. I think Shaun T is more my kind of trainer, I like Tony but he is really strange.

If you are looking to build muscle I would definitely go with P90X.

If you want extreme cardio that makes you feel like you are dying while you are doing it but is extremely rewarding I would go with Insanity. If you are looking to lose some weight and tone up, Insanity is great. There is not much cardio in P90X. I would recommend the Yoga in P90X though.

Either way you go, they are both great programs and you will get results from each of them. But the most important part is following the nutrition plan for either one you choose.

Feel free to contact me with any questions!

Good luck :smile:
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on you personally, what your strengths/likes/dislikes are and what your goals are. If you want to build muscle then I'd say P90x for sure, but if you're more interested in just losing some weight/fat loss then I think Insanity would be the way to go.

I have both programs and personally I don't care for Insanity, not really a big fan of Shaun, the video set-up or the style. I love love love P90x. But that's just me, I prefer the strength workouts and find them much more interesting than cardio. At this point I only use the Insanity workouts to sub out Kenpo during P90x and I occasionally use the ab workouts, but other than that I don't really use them and I'd definitely never want to run through the whole program. If you like intense cardio then I'd recommend Insanity for sure. If you want a longer workout with more weight based strength and less cardio then I'd recommend P90x.
  • dakoerber
    dakoerber Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I have done both and liked P90X better.. Insanity is great but its alot of cardio and I didn't find it enjoyable. Its very intense. I really enjoy working out and never found myself looking forward to the workouts. However, I have friends that love it and have gotten great results.

P90X is intense as well but I found it easier to modify for my strength and ability. I also found Tony to be fun to watch and he made it seem like you can do anything. I don't find Shaun to be the same way. Maybe more of a personal preference.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I started with P90X and loved the weight workouts, but not the cardio. The cardio was too easy. Insanity definitely has better cardio- and it kicks your butt!

The P90X can be a bit slow though. I've actually written down each workout and go through it at my own speed- I get through most of the 60-minute workouts in about 45. Definitely some good moves and I am much more toned.

I intend to try the Insanity schedule in the fall or winter (right now it's too nice to be exercising inside every day!) I use one of the insanity videos once a week or so- they definitely make me sweat!
  • jlembry
    jlembry Posts: 18
    Options
    Personally, I think they should be done together. P90X is really light on the cardio (Plyo wears out my legs before my heart rate gets up there and Kenpo isn't challenging at all) but Insanity has practically no strength training. I found Insanity way too hard to do every day plus Tony Horton is much funnier than Shaun T.