Most effective cardio

Options
Hey everyone! :) I've been power walking most mornings because I have read that is better for burning fat than jogging or running. I will also have a gym membership soon and I have always been a huge fan of the elliptical. However, word on the street is that power jogging is the way to go in terms of losing fat. What works better for you??? I'm not yielding the results I want out of my power walking so I'm seriously considering more strenuous cardio.

Replies

• misshayley1985
    Options
    Stairstepper, spin bike, running - the weight will fall off. Do each of these cardio machines about 10minutes each so you don't get bored :-)
    Also, if you are joining a gym go to some boot camp classes and spin classes, they help pass the time and make you dedicate yourself for that hour (because you don't wanna be "that" person that walks out of the class! haha!)
    Good Luck!
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I have recently tried splitting my cardio between three different machines: elliptical, stationary bike and running on the treadmill for an hour and found that I burn more calories this way.
  • FriendsR4EverTreasures
    Options
    indoor cycling if I have to be on a machine. I do a variety, cycling, Zumba, circuits, intervals, jogging, etc.
  • prettykia19
    Options
    Keep up the good work :wink:
  • tlahuiltzin
    tlahuiltzin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!! I can't wait to join the gym!!! Anyone have netflix instant stream exercise videos you'd recommend?
  • Isbabyblue
    Options
    I was told that Intervals work best to get your heart rate up and then slow it down and speed it up in interval. Then your body continues to burn calories well after your workout is over. I personally do 2 minute intervals on my treadclimber of 2.5mph and then 4mph. Although last week I found out that holding on slightly to keep balance was hindering my interval work out, so now i have to adjust it some because not holding on at all, even to just keep balance is really making my intervals at teh 4mph almost unbearable! LOL i'm going to have to cut my higher rate of speed down to 30 seconds to 1minute and then build back up to 2 minutes on the faster speed because I can't seem to catch my breath quick enough on my slower speed interval. I hope this information helps you!
  • AMSalaz
    AMSalaz Posts: 16
    Options
    Studies show that power walking tends to burn more calories than eliptical, however, eliptical works a few different muscles and gives you the comfort of no cement (= no shin splints) and a weather free environment. ;)
    Living in Florida in the summer, there are times I wish I had a treadmill or an eliptical just to escape the heat and humidity.

As long as you're moving, you're doing well by me!
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Zumba!

If there is a class at your gym - you might look into it. I burned 979 calories in about an hour at a live class last week. (Used a wrist band HRM to get that number.)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    The elliptical did it for me, but mostly because I enjoyed it. And I had a good view of the tv.
  • tlahuiltzin
    tlahuiltzin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've heard great things about Zumba. And yeah, the elliptical is one of my favorite things to do and it's a good work out with no side effects like hurt knees and stuff you get from running, jogging, power walking. I'm thinking I'm going to do a boot camp video on netflix until I gather up enough money for my gym membership.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have never power-walked, but I've done a lot of different cardio over the years. Running, stair stepper (machine, not step aerobics) and Zumba have been most effective for me.
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Trying rowing. It's brutal.