Recipes to replace Chinese takeaways?

Options
Cheryl89
Cheryl89 Posts: 8 Member
Anyone have any nice chinese recipes? I can't seem to stay away from takeaway chinese food especially chicken and sweetcorn soup but need to curb it down for my diet AND my purse :smile:

Replies

• JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Google is a great tool for searching any kind of recipe :) or allrecipes.com
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    stirfry gotta be a good alternative use sesame oil, chilli and throw in all your fave veggies, some chicken if you like, soy sauce, noodles if you like, bean sprouts pineapple if you like sweet n sour! hell you can tailor make your own flavours.... beware pre packaged sauces..... pre flavoured noodles..... they are the devils work lol!!! bon appetit!
  • carina_75
    carina_75 Posts: 88
    Options
    buy chinese 5 spice seasoning, tastes great on stirfry chicken!!
  • mesafford
    mesafford Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at skinnytaste.com? The lady who writes recipes there does a lot of Asian-inspired cuisine (her Thai options are super yummy). She has probably done some Chinese food too.
  • MMFP68
    MMFP68 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I like to make my own seasoned tofu and vegetables, Szechuan style (spicy). I also like to use organic soba noodles instead of rice since it has fewer calories and holds flavor so well. Nothing wrong with steamed white rice, though.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    Ohhhhhhh yes. Grab your pen (or printer) and save THIS for your recipe book! It's one of our favorites.

3/4 lb. whole wheat angel hair pasta

1 T. grated fresh ginger
    1 T. brown sugar
    2 T. dark sesame oil
    2 T. rice vinegar
    1/4 c. peanut butter
    1/4 c. soy sauce
    1/2 tsp. minced garlic
    1/4 tsp. ea. salt and ground cayenne

1 cucumber, peeled/halved/seeded & sliced diagonally (because it's pretty that way)
    3 scallions, thinly sliced
    1 large red bell pepper, julienned

1 T. toasted sesame seeds

Cook the noodles til tender but still slightly al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.

Combine next 8 ingredients (through cayenne) in food processor and blend until smooth.

Toss the sauce with the noodles; pile with the mixed veggies and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve @ room temp.

(Note: Can add chopped cooked chicken breast to make an entree, or fresh steamed broccoli or sugar snap peas for more color)
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    drat! I have a szechuan dish for you too with cucumber-carrot relish (like a ground pork ragout) but can't find my recipe. :sad: Must.... tear..... kitchen..... apart.....

::edit:: Ah!! I found it! I knew it was from one of my old cookinglight mags. Here's the link: A real winner!!
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/szechuan-spicy-noodles-with-carrot-cucumber-relish-10000001611668/
  • Cheryl89
    Cheryl89 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :flowerforyou: :heart: