Replies

• lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Amen!!! How did we EVER survive...LOL.
  • beachbumdoug
    beachbumdoug Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    OMG, i love this. It is all sooo true, we all survived and i think are better people for it.
    Thanks for the great read this morning
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Born in the late 70s and this is soo true.

I was just talking about this to my husband the other day. He freaks out if I let the kids go out and play in the backyard unsupervised. and the yard is fenced in.

My argument is for them to play, get active and use their imagination.
  • jenniferg83
    jenniferg83 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    add 80's babies.. lol

i was thinking the same thing! i was born in early 80s and same stuff!!!
  • Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Original poster, did you grow up in Alabama? I'm pretty sure we were friends back in the day! :)

No sorry.. Born and bred Irish.. Still here and its still blinking raining!! Lol...
  • Solly123
    Options
    Amen, sister! Beautiful horse, by the way.

Thats my baby - Solly.. I bred him from my Irish Draught Mare.. He is by a Registered Irish Draught Stallion - Ard Grandpa.

He is now 5 yrs old and I love him to bits. Such an old wise head.. Nothing phases him, except me falling off!! Lol!!

Still have his mammy - the Sexy Mare.. I'd trust her with my life. Fantastic XCountry horse..
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    I don't know how the children of the 50's, like me, survived either. This list pertains to us as well!!
  • mathlete99
    mathlete99 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think now we would be referred to as "free range kids"...man, those were the days! When the streetlights came on, we all knew to head home. Didn't need a text reminder from our parents :)
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I seriously think that we are the last survivors of hard work & preserverence! It kinda makes me crazy when I hear people say they want to give their kids a better life then what they had. Hello? What was so wrong with what we had? (Ok, ok... I know there are some exceptions, but really....) We were taught to respect other people, work hard & NOT have our hand out waiting for a freebie! I did ALL those things listed above & I'm proud to say I survived!
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    1973 baby here :)

And boy, they were wonderful days to grow up in :D
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    add 80's babies.. lol

I was born in 80, so most of this was still going on, i think changes started around late 80's. What a different world it is now... :sad:
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i didn't have lead paint on my crib & i did have seat belts. but we didn't have a computer or a cell phone, we played out side until my mom yelled dinner out the door and we came running. sticks were our BB guns. :) i <3 my childhood of playing out side and yelling for the neighbors.

EDIT: i was born in the 90's!
  • avalonms
    avalonms Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    See - "How to Land Your Kid in Therapy: Why the obsession with our kids’ happiness may be dooming them to unhappy adulthoods. A therapist and mother reports" (URL: http://tinyurl.com/3cvsxtn)
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I seriously think that we are the last survivors of hard work & preserverence! It kinda makes me crazy when I hear people say they want to give their kids a better life then what they had. Hello? What was so wrong with what we had? (Ok, ok... I know there are some exceptions, but really....) We were taught to respect other people, work hard & NOT have our hand out waiting for a freebie! I did ALL those things listed above & I'm proud to say I survived!

And we knew that no meant no, and didn't dare have a tantrum about not getting our own way (especially in public)! Also, I bet our mums didn't wash everything down with anti-bac either!
  • jeanneannupperman
    Options
    Boy how true Think we actually turned out pretty good
  • Solly123
    Options
    And we knew that no meant no, and didn't dare have a tantrum about not getting our own way (especially in public)! Also, I bet our mums didn't wash everything down with anti-bac either!

This anti-bacterial cleaning I think is a major problem.. How on earth are kids meant to get an immune system when they never meet a germ in their home? No wonder when they start creche or school they catch every bug going.
    Too many people are getting too uptight about their children. I don't mean they should neglect them but they need to be sensible. Clean dirt does no harm!! If it did - I should be dead long ago - and so should my son!!

I'm so lucky that I am very very rarely sick. I've never had a flu, only get a cold once every couple of years.. And I put it all down to my "free-range" upbringing. Plenty of fruit and veg, meat 2 or 3 times a week and gallons of milk (now tea!!). I remember as a child, on holidays with my aunt on her farm. We would bring up the cow, milk her and drink the milk, warm, straight from the bucket. It was the most delicious milk ever.. So creamy.. Mmmmm. Never did us a bit of harm... If I tell people that now, they are shocked that my aunt allowed us to drink unpasturised milk!! Why ???? We owned the cow, knew what she ate - so whats the problem!!

The world has really gone a tad nuts, me thinks....
  • TheGoktor
    Options
    This anti-bacterial cleaning I think is a major problem.. How on earth are kids meant to get an immune system when they never meet a germ in their home? No wonder when they start creche or school they catch every bug going.
    Too many people are getting too uptight about their children. I don't mean they should neglect them but they need to be sensible. Clean dirt does no harm!! If it did - I should be dead long ago - and so should my son!!

I cannot tell you how vehemently I am anti-anti-bac! Someone I'm very close to even washes down her sink with it before running the water to do the washing up! She says it's because she doesn't want her kids to get bugs (yeah right) but I suspect it's because she's fallen for that whole advertising-playing-on fear thing. And because she lives in a village which couldn't be more Stepford if it actually was Stepford! :noway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA-0nki_XL8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9fFOelpE_8
    I'm so lucky that I am very very rarely sick. I've never had a flu, only get a cold once every couple of years.. And I put it all down to my "free-range" upbringing. Plenty of fruit and veg, meat 2 or 3 times a week and gallons of milk (now tea!!). I remember as a child, on holidays with my aunt on her farm. We would bring up the cow, milk her and drink the milk, warm, straight from the bucket. It was the most delicious milk ever.. So creamy.. Mmmmm. Never did us a bit of harm... If I tell people that now, they are shocked that my aunt allowed us to drink unpasturised milk!! Why ???? We owned the cow, knew what she ate - so whats the problem!!

When I was at senior school, we had a small farm there, which was run by my chum, Norma. I spent every lunchtime there, and many after schools too, plus used to help her in the school hols. One of my favourite things was to milk the goats, and then drink the milk - wonderful!

I suspect that city kids may have had different experiences but for me, living a largely rural life meant I could more or less wander wherever my feet took me, without fear of being run over etc. (when I mentioned the multi-storey car park in my earlier post, the town centre was actually several miles away)!
    The world has really gone a tad nuts, me thinks....

Oh, I don't think it, I KNOW it! Statistically, this is the safest time for humans to have ever been alive, so why are people so bloody paranoid these days? Is it because the media tells us that if germs don't kill our kids, then they'll be kidnapped, murdered, or worse? Of course, if they survive that, we must make sure we give into their every whim because otherwise they'll develop 'issues'. And woe betide us if we curb their free spirits by daring to tell them no, or punish their misbehaviour, or not give them a prize because they didn't come first. Or second. Or third. Or 10th.... Furthermore, let's not forget that they need to have special chemical-filled-child-friendly food because they couldn't possibly eat the same things as adults.

:explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode:
  • melt57
    melt57 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    So true!!! At 33, my parents are wondering when they are becoming grandparents, but the husband and I can't imagine raising a child in a world where everything has to be antibacterial. If we tried to give a child the childhood we loved and remembered, we'd probably be considered awful parents. Whats so wrong with being raised in a way where you are expected to listen to your parents, you need to EARN praise, and you pick up a few bumps and bruises on the way. It gets you ready for life!!! Argh! I'll take the lead based paint over the antibacterial soap any day :bigsmile:
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Ahh... the good old days! Remember when water, TV, and radio were all free...
  • TheGoktor
    Options
    Ahh... the good old days! Remember when water, TV, and radio were all free...

You clearly don't live in the UK! :laugh: