Help. Me

Options
So here is the problem, during the day im good with my eating, and then at night i just start eating mounds of crap. And my girlfriend makes delicious food.

its an issue.

So what can I do to stay focused through the rest of the day? And how can I avoid her food without her getting angry with me? please please please help meeee.

:(

Im about to cryyyyyy

Replies

• irreligiouspiety07
    Options
    So here is the problem, during the day im good with my eating, and then at night i just start eating mounds of crap. And my girlfriend makes delicious food.

its an issue.

So what can I do to stay focused through the rest of the day? And how can I avoid her food without her getting angry with me? please please please help meeee.

:(

Im about to cryyyyyy
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You can still eat what she makes, just eat less of it. You can plug recipes in to the sparkpeople recipe thingy (I don't know the actual site but I know it exists lol) and add it to your calories. Plan your meals for the day when you wake up, so you know what to eat at each meal. Add some more exercise if you want to eat more on a a given day.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    one of my biggest problems is night eating. whew its tough habit to break. I started by weining myself from the most fattening things first. I still have a fat free yogurt or fat free pudding at night and if i still can't stop i go for the rice cakes 1 serving with alot of water and i am usually full. just a suggestion i had to wein myself from the grilled cheese and hot dogs salami and all the really unhealthy crap. I also had to stop from myself from going to mcdonalds at 2 am it was getting to be a habit i sure didn't need. :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • irreligiouspiety07
    Options
    * send out hugs*

thank you guys
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You should always (if you're a night snacker like me) try to allot some points for your night time snack. I try to leave 200-300 cals for a snack later in the night. Tonight I just had some toast with margarine and a yogurt but I made sure I left the cals for it and it took care of the night time hungries!

As for your roommate why not be honest with her and tell her that while you love her cooking you're really trying to lose weight to be a healthier you and please don't take your refusal of her snacks as a reflection of her cooking.
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Easiest way to curb night eating: eat dessert.

Seriously. Experiencing a bit of sweetness is sort of a "food closer" for many people when it comes to dinner.

And by dessert, I don't mean go grab a Frosty, unless you've allotted calories for it. But why not take half of a big apple, slice it up, sprinkle on some cinnamon, and stick it in the microwave for 20 seconds? You get a yummy, sweet little treat that is GOOD for you!

Here are some of my favorite "skinny" desserts:

- Orange, peeled and split into its sections, sprinkled with raw cacao powder (5 cals a tbsp) and Splenda, and microwaved for 15-20 seconds.

- Banana (half), sliced, sprinkled with cinnamon and drizzled with a tiny bit of Torani sugar-free syrup, microwaved for 10-15 seconds.

- Small bowl of nonfat vanilla yogurt (or whatever flavor you want) and a few mixed berries

- The apple recipe mentioned above

Oh! And Fat Free Reddi WIp is your friend! 5 cals per 2 tbsps and it tastes good. I spray a little on a lot of my desserts (and coffee!)
  • Lizjkp
    Lizjkp Posts: 278
    Options
    Hi there Phoenixflame, sounds like you have the dessert thing well under control. Well done you for taking the time and effort to come up with these and for sharing your lovely ideas with us.
    :flowerforyou:
  • hgam1
    hgam1 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Easiest way to curb night eating: eat dessert.

Seriously. Experiencing a bit of sweetness is sort of a "food closer" for many people when it comes to dinner.

And by dessert, I don't mean go grab a Frosty, unless you've allotted calories for it. But why not take half of a big apple, slice it up, sprinkle on some cinnamon, and stick it in the microwave for 20 seconds? You get a yummy, sweet little treat that is GOOD for you!

Here are some of my favorite "skinny" desserts:

- Orange, peeled and split into its sections, sprinkled with raw cacao powder (5 cals a tbsp) and Splenda, and microwaved for 15-20 seconds.

- Banana (half), sliced, sprinkled with cinnamon and drizzled with a tiny bit of Torani sugar-free syrup, microwaved for 10-15 seconds.

- Small bowl of nonfat vanilla yogurt (or whatever flavor you want) and a few mixed berries

- The apple recipe mentioned above

Oh! And Fat Free Reddi WIp is your friend! 5 cals per 2 tbsps and it tastes good. I spray a little on a lot of my desserts (and coffee!)

I am so printing this and sticking it to my fridge! (with your permission of course). Wonderful, brill ideas you've got there hon.:flowerforyou:
  • Mahlia
    Mahlia Posts: 190
    Options
    Ugh, I have the exact same problem. :brokenheart:
    Sorry I have no advice to give, but thank you so much for this thread! :flowerforyou:
  • haleyk
    haleyk Posts: 58
    Options
    Set a time to stop eating for the day. I stop after 7 pm and it has really helped curb night snacking. This is hard to do, but weight loss is a great reward. Your partner can actually be support if you let them know what time you would like to stop eating for the day.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Ask your girlfriend to, pretty please, modify her recipes to be as low cal as possible. Enter her recipes into a recipe calculator so you know the calories in what she is cooking. Stick with portion control. If she makes a super yummy, rich pasta dish, have a small portion of that and stick a cup of green beans on the side for you. Talk to her about it - she might be very willing and open to trying new low cal recipes you find on here for her... or better yet, ask her to come to MFP and search our recipe section!! There are HUNDREDS of recipes out there that look so delicious and like fun to cook.

Good luck. :heart:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Oh oh oh --

And save as many calories as possible for dinner.

I try to save, through low cal breakfast and lunch (Lean Cusines) and daily exercise, between 800-900 calories for dinner and a late night sweet snack.
    I eat about 250cals for breakfast, 250cals for lunch, workout about 300cals. Of course, saving those calories like that is something very individual.... other people might never do that, requiring a large breakfast and a small dinner. It's about finding what works best for you.
  • irreligiouspiety07
    Options
    you guys.
    are the absolute best.
    on the planet.

thank you thank you thank you!