Hello All-Comeback Time

Kguide
Kguide Posts: 36 Member
Hi There,

I started working out again on 7/3/2011 but I just found this site today, so I'll be using this as my main guide now. On 7/3/2011 I weighed a whopping 288lbs and today I'm 272. I'm a 38 year old male, six foot who used to be very athletic. My entire adult life I weighed between 195-220 but 200 has been the norm.

In 2005 and before, I played basketball like I always had, 3-4 times a week of very competitive ball where ever I could find a good game. From 1991 (HS Graduation) to 2005 I would seek good games in black neighborhoods (I'm white). RI, NC, NJ, VA and DC is were my stomping grounds were over the years where I always earned the nickname of Bird from my black friends, it was like clockwork, hit a few big shots, I'm Bird wherever I went :)

Over the years my ankles paid the price and in 2005 at a gym game I sprained my ankle for the last time. Like always I bounced back a few weeks later and on the first game back somebody broke my pinkie. Again I bounced back like I always did, I taped it up and was back on the court a few days later. On the first game back I started to suffer massive elbow pain that I never had before and for someone who's main weapon is a jump shot, that's not good. I gave up, retired.

With my only exercise that I ever enjoyed gone and my appetite as large as always I gained weight, almost one hundred pounds in six years. Jeez that's embarrassing to admit, but here I am. I could count on my hands the amount of times I cooked for myself in those six years. To make matters worse I smoke cigarettes but basketball always kept the amount I smoked very low. As my weight gain, my smoking increased which brought me to 7/2/2011 when I decided enough was enough.

On 7/3/2011 I started to ride my bike up and down the National Mall in DC and I enjoy it. I dodge taxi's and tourists in a reckless matter and I find it fun. If I can avoid getting smashed by a bus I'm very confident I will eventually get back to my former 200 pounds, it's a done deal as far as I'm concerned. The question is how? I created my own spreadsheet to track everything I did but now with the discovery of this website I hope to bring it to another level. I discovered something called a super market and that I actually have a place to store this food in my apartment, its called a refrigerator. I bought something called a scale, comeback time.

I also discovered that I can cook and in 25 days I've now lost 16 pounds. Any other former aging athletes out there with tips?