Fiber... does increasing your intake really impact weight &

Options
Hello Everyone :happy:
I've been encouraged by my doctor to increase my fiber intake, so I have decided to try it. She suggested Benefiber in addition to eating foods high in fiber.

Anyone experienced a positive impact on your health or weight loss efforts? Just curious.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this!!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone :happy:
    I've been encouraged by my doctor to increase my fiber intake, so I have decided to try it. She suggested Benefiber in addition to eating foods high in fiber.

Anyone experienced a positive impact on your health or weight loss efforts? Just curious.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this!!
    Fiber is great for filling you up and makes it much easier on your colon. In terms of weight loss, you could still add fiber to your diet and still not lose weight if your calories aren't in deficit.
  • ChristyP0303
    ChristyP0303 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It is important! Each gram of fiber blocks 7 calories. It also fills you up and keeps you full longer. My goal is 24 grams per day. Some days I hit it and some days I dont. It also helps keep things regular...
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    The great thing about fiber is that your body can't digest it, so it's free calories.
  • goldnanoparticle
    goldnanoparticle Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have an irritable digestive system, and regular fiber always makes me feel great! It works out your colon to keep you 'regular' and it does indeed give you a fuller feeling. Fiber is a great idea to any diet!
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You'll run like clockwork, that's for sure! I always hit my fiber goals and I DEFINITELY am fuller feeling. When you up your fiber you'll want to make sure you're drinking enough water, water and fiber keep your system naturally flushed out. SO, you could see a few pounds loss from any water weight and other stuff that may be hangin' out inside your colon. You can keep it off by continuing to eat lots of fiber and drinking plenty of water :D
  • DaFrogRibbit
    DaFrogRibbit Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been consuming much fiber add it slowly. Adding to much to quickly will constipate you. Also make sure you drink plenty of water. Balance diet is the key. After all you shouldn't go on a diet you should make a lifestyle change.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Don't up your fiber too much - too quickly. Increase it gradually - give your system time to adapt or you could have tummy issues. Also - try for natural fiber found in unprocessed fruits, vegetables, and grains, instead of pills or supplements.