TurboFire Injuries!!! PLEASE HELP

Options
I'm officially starting TurboFire on Monday, August 1 2011. But this morning I decided to pop in the 1st DVD, Fire 30, just to see if I could keep up. I only got through 25 mins and my back and feet started KILLING me! I reckon I wasn't focusing on keeping my core 100% strong, so that's definitely a lesson learned for next time. Does anybody have any tips for combating back pain?? Also, I heard from someone that my feet were getting side cramps b/c my shoes weren't laced properly/tight enough.. Has anyone ever heard that? Other suggestions for how stop foot cramps??

Thanks,

Autumn

Replies

• georgiag111
    georgiag111 Posts: 424
    Options
    I had bad back issues at first I am assuming its from muscles that I never used I stuck with it now 3 weeks into it roughly and no more pains. As for the shoes maybe you need new ones? I had to get me new tenni shoes for working out as the others just didnt feel right on me ? Anyways good luck!
  • JoanWill
    JoanWill Posts: 217
    Options
    Also, I heard from someone that my feet were getting side cramps b/c my shoes weren't laced properly/tight enough.. Has anyone ever heard that? Other suggestions for how stop foot cramps??

Thanks,

Autumn

I must agree to the right way of lacing your shoes. I had those side cramps at one point and I told my fitness instructor about it and she showed me the right way to lace my shoes and sure enough, none of those anymore. I tend to get too lazy about lacing my shoes right.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I have had the foot issues but it seemed to get better for me as I progressed in the program. Maybe I was tying my shoes better? I think the type of footwear probably plays a part in this, my shoes are fairly cheap. I'd like some good shoes, its just not in the cards at this moment.

As for back pain - where is the pain? I have pain in my butt area - which I think is from the kicking. I think its my joint, sometimes the muscle. I just try to stretch good and it really feels much better - at least when its my muscle acting up. The joint pain seemed to ease when I had my little break from the workouts recently so I might have inflamed it or something.
  • sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm officially starting TurboFire on Monday, August 1 2011. But this morning I decided to pop in the 1st DVD, Fire 30, just to see if I could keep up. I only got through 25 mins and my back and feet started KILLING me! I reckon I wasn't focusing on keeping my core 100% strong, so that's definitely a lesson learned for next time. Does anybody have any tips for combating back pain?? Also, I heard from someone that my feet were getting side cramps b/c my shoes weren't laced properly/tight enough.. Has anyone ever heard that? Other suggestions for how stop foot cramps??

Thanks,

Autumn

I've had the foot cramps, on occassion. It does seem to be in relation to how shoes are tied, most of the time. If it's too sloppy, they rotate too much. I also try to stretch my feet and legs really good before any workout. This helps.

I LOVE turbo fire but I have had a few injuries from it - it really is pretty intense! I've had a serious knee injury (but I have bad knees anyway) and had hurt my back once. It's my fault for not maintaining proper form. As you get stronger, and know the routines better, you do maintain better form and learn how to pivot correctly. Give the injury time to heal, start out slowly, and take breaks when needed! :)
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am not sure about the back pain. but I have problem with the feet also. I invested in good sneakers - Nike Shox, and if they are tied properly no pain. I get my pain in the sides and toes. I think it is all the about the shoe. Some days my feet are swollen, so I go barefoot (shoes too tight, then different pain), and that does not hurt, but, I am really not sure if doing this amount of high impact is good on bare feet.

Welcome to TurboFire, I just finished week 9 this morning. It is a lot of fun and very effective. If you have to modify, don't hesitate, esp with back pain. After doing it for a short time, you will notice that you are doing less and less modifications.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I just started Turbo Fire this week and yes my back muscles are sore but not hurting to the point of injury. I don't know what type of exercise you were doing before but if you haven't been working out in while you may need to take 30 days and do something else and then ease into TF with the Prep schedule. I did Turbo Jam first so my body was used to most of the moves. If that's not the case maybe the 10 minute stretch after Fire 30 will help with some of the issues. I didn't have any problems with my feet.
  • fayaman
    fayaman Posts: 1
    Options
    Havent tried turbofire but I just started P90X. I used to have back pain before I started working out again after a long period of inactivity. I read up on it and found out back pain is sometimes caused by a weak core. Sure enough. the more I worked out the less my pain was. Ofcourse everyone is different so go easy on yourself :) Also equally important, make sure you dont skip the stretches. For foot cramps make sure you are tying your shoes evenly(you know how you just jump in your shoes and pull the laces tight at the top without taking the time to properly tie them). Good Luck!
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm a Turbo Fire and Insanity member too. My advice is to take it easy the first week to 10 days!!!! Don't think that if you take the low impact option at first that you're not doing enough. You have to get used to it and be aware of your form. If you start out with such high intensity you'll have a tendency to just throw your body around just to keep up. There is a new person option and I definitely recommend it!!! Be careful and take your time it will be worth it. Also, make sure you do the stretches and most importantly remember that anytime you start a high intensity program you WILL be sore! Good Luck :)