At a MAJOR plateau! Help???

Options
ok, again, i'm pissed. I decided that i hadn't weighed myself since last sunday, and have worked out AND ate really good this whole week, so I jumped on the scale....and....GAINED WEIGHT!!!!!!:explode: :mad: :cry: !!!!!!

ok, need to vent a little: i am so sick of all this! I've worked so hard and nothing has changed! i haven't lost inches, I haven't lost weight, NOTHING. I've been working my butt off for so long now and still i can't not seem to get past 150! I so want to just say skrew it! It's not fair! I know my body can get lower than 150, hell, i was like 115 in high school and 120 the first few years of collage. All I want is to get to 135. Just 15lbs! PLEASE!!!!!

ok, whew, i feel a tad better. But really, I know that i need to keep this up, I need to continue to work out everyday this week, and i've have a goal of only drinking water this week, so hopefully that'll help. And then maybe next week i'll weigh in and there will be a change.

Another thing: Does anyone have ANY suggestions on how to get over a plateau??? I've been at this weight since July (but have only REALLY been trying to lose since sept.) I've upped my calories to 1300-1400, I've been doing a completely new exercise (30-day shred) for the last 3 weeks, I eat my exercise calories, drink a butt-load of water, changed my eating habits up a bit (i used to have the same breakfast everyday, so now i've been switching it up w/ oatmeal/cereal/eggs), I've been keeping an eye on not just calories, but also fat, carbs, protein, sodium, and potassium and i've had a hard time w/ keeping my sodium down and my carbs down (i eat fruit and beans which up the carb and sodium A TON, but i've heard that was ok, because it's not processed food, it's natural). Other than that I don't know what else to do:cry:

Thanks for listening everyone (sorry it's so long),
Laura

Replies

• laurabelle25
    Options
    ok, again, i'm pissed. I decided that i hadn't weighed myself since last sunday, and have worked out AND ate really good this whole week, so I jumped on the scale....and....GAINED WEIGHT!!!!!!:explode: :mad: :cry: !!!!!!

ok, need to vent a little: i am so sick of all this! I've worked so hard and nothing has changed! i haven't lost inches, I haven't lost weight, NOTHING. I've been working my butt off for so long now and still i can't not seem to get past 150! I so want to just say skrew it! It's not fair! I know my body can get lower than 150, hell, i was like 115 in high school and 120 the first few years of collage. All I want is to get to 135. Just 15lbs! PLEASE!!!!!

ok, whew, i feel a tad better. But really, I know that i need to keep this up, I need to continue to work out everyday this week, and i've have a goal of only drinking water this week, so hopefully that'll help. And then maybe next week i'll weigh in and there will be a change.

Another thing: Does anyone have ANY suggestions on how to get over a plateau??? I've been at this weight since July (but have only REALLY been trying to lose since sept.) I've upped my calories to 1300-1400, I've been doing a completely new exercise (30-day shred) for the last 3 weeks, I eat my exercise calories, drink a butt-load of water, changed my eating habits up a bit (i used to have the same breakfast everyday, so now i've been switching it up w/ oatmeal/cereal/eggs), I've been keeping an eye on not just calories, but also fat, carbs, protein, sodium, and potassium and i've had a hard time w/ keeping my sodium down and my carbs down (i eat fruit and beans which up the carb and sodium A TON, but i've heard that was ok, because it's not processed food, it's natural). Other than that I don't know what else to do:cry:

Laura
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options

Laura

sorry your having issues with losing- I know how stressful it is- try not eating your exercise calories I decided not too- everyone on MFP has a different idea about it so I am not trying to step on toes I am just saying something to change it up a bit if after a week it doesn't work they you can go back to what you were doing
  • LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    You know what everyone told me to do when I hit my big plateau? Eat more calories!! You are doing the right things. I know when I upped my calories from 1200 to 1500 or more..still kept up with exercising.. I ended up losing five pounds!! I didn't even switch up my workouts..just kept doing the same thing. Stress also goes along with it.. When I stopped worrying about the numbers on the scale..it actually worked to my advantage. I am big on weighing myself every single day...I know..neurotic..but that's just the way I am... I went to weighing myself once a week and it actually helped out a lot too. Because I wasn't so down on myself every single day..and I have yet to gain any weight back. I am on my second big plateau..stuck here for the last month now...but I know it won't last forever. Another thing to think about is the timing of the month..natural water weight ... and if you drink alcohol.. Good luck!
  • Mahlia
    Mahlia Posts: 190
    Options
    I agree with the previous post!
    Eat more calories, it worked wonders for me. :bigsmile:
    I was stuck at 144 a few months ago, and I had a small binge, dreading the scale the next week.
    And whaddaya know! I lost two pounds. :laugh:
  • msblondy16
    Options
    Ok, sorry, I would say DO eat your exercise calories. I went through a very long period when I did not eat them and only ate 1000 a day and I actually did not lose any weight because I was starving myself... I know how frustrating the scale can be, trust me, so you are not alone.

Could you try eating 6 small meals a day, each containing a mixture of protein and carbs? Or give yourself a cutoff every night so you don't eat 2 hours before going to bed? I don't think it makes a huge difference when you eat your calories (that's now what doctors say, too), but maybe it would help shake your body up a bit.

I am also stuck at a weight I don't want to be at and I am at the point where I am not actually sure I believe it is possible for my body to lose weight, but I am still trying...

Keep doing what you are doing! Your body needs to catch up sometime! I mean, right... :indifferent: Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • SuzieQT
    SuzieQT Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If you haven't read this post yet, it might help. There's lots of suggestions on what to do to help with plateaus.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/20343-how-i-have-avoided-plateauing-length-warning

What worked for me personally was taking a day off. I just took one day and ate whatever I wanted to and didn't even log it. After a three week plateau I dropped 1.5 lbs. Good luck to you! I know how frustrating plateaus can be. :flowerforyou:

[Dang while I was typing this some one already posted it! Sorry for the repeat suggestion lol.]
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    If you stop eating your exercise calories you may lose weight, but that will be because your body is not getting enough fuel to survive. Up them to say 1500-1600cals and THEN stop eating your exercise calories. or continue with how you are eating and exercising now. I know it is frustrating. Maybe you should speak to a doctor. There can be lots of underlying reasons why women don't lose weight.
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I agree with a take a day off and that's from eating within your calories and exercising.
    Also there's something called zig zagging your calories. To keep your metabolism guessing you eat 1200 calories one day 1400 another day 1600 another day and another 1200 another day. I know there's a post about this somewhere.

-Adrienne:heart:
  • DjBliss05
    Options
    I agree with a take a day off and that's from eating within your calories and exercising.
    Also there's something called zig zagging your calories. To keep your metabolism guessing you eat 1200 calories one day 1400 another day 1600 another day and another 1200 another day. I know there's a post about this somewhere.

-Adrienne:heart:

I totally agree with this, just to break the plateau. Try one day even higher than 1600. I would say 1800 or 2000... as long as it is under the calories you generally burn in a day. I take days off here and there to keep my metabolism confused and get in the foods I don't want to give up!

You'll make it through! Good luck.
  • laurabelle25
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!:flowerforyou:

I really appreciate all your advice and i'm definitely going to take some of it. Actually I'll probably try everyone's advice over the next few weeks to see if something changes.

God I can't tell you how much this site helps!

Thanks again,
    Laura
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I was on a 6 week plateau--mainly related to my training for my 100 mile cycle--but it just takes time. I mixed things up a bit the last couple of weeks. Ate more--just under maintenance--and did different exercises. Also had a few splurge days, which was something I had not really allowed myself until then. I even had 2 chili dogs with cheese and french fries one day, and they were SOOOOOOOO good!

Then, I went back to my 1400 a day base calorie routine last week, and I saw a 1 pound drop within the first 4 days!

Our bodies are amazing and will adapt so quickly, you really have to keep it guessing.
  • PurdyMommy
    PurdyMommy Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I understand the pain. I use to be in the gym and did everything perfect. Well then we moved, I had to quit the gym, and Im still stuck at 190 4months later. Im am eatting a lil diffrent cause Im more on a tight budget with a house and all now! But I am trying to do somekinda exercise everyday crunches, jump and jacks and such but still no loss yet. I HOPE I CAN RESEARCH THAT LINK AND FIND OUT SOME NEW INFO TO TRY!

And remember wether your 150, 135 or even 120 you still need to eat right, drink water and Exercise every week! WEIGHT IS JUST A #. LIFE HEALTHY ADN HAPPY!