Girly Questions

Options
Hello! :flowerforyou: I have two questions for you ladies.

First, is there anyone using the birth control shot Depo Provera? If so, have you noticed it affecting your weightloss?

Second, what kind of moisturizer do you guys use?! I'm always stuck standing in front of the massive WALL of lotions, creams, etc., with no idea what's best! I want something that soothes my skin (I have ONE dry patch on my hand that flares up when it gets cold!), smells nice and will last all day. :heart:

Hope you guys have a wonderful day! I'm off to a meeting; will check when I get back. Gotta fill up my water bottle!! :drinker:

Replies

• Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options

First, is there anyone using the birth control shot Depo Provera? If so, have you noticed it affecting your weightloss?

Second, what kind of moisturizer do you guys use?! I'm always stuck standing in front of the massive WALL of lotions, creams, etc., with no idea what's best! I want something that soothes my skin (I have ONE dry patch on my hand that flares up when it gets cold!), smells nice and will last all day. :heart:

Hope you guys have a wonderful day! I'm off to a meeting; will check when I get back. Gotta fill up my water bottle!! :drinker:
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Im afraid Im no help in the birth control dept. lol:noway: But I like Curel Natural Healing lotion for my arms, legs, etc. And it smells awesome! Its the lime green colored container...the revitalizing formula. Its made with green tea, aloe, and cucumber extracts. Doesnt sound to appealing lol but it really does smell great! But for more stubborn, rough areas I use Dr Scholl's Foot Butter for her. Its a moisturizing cream that instantly makes your feet, elbows, etc softer and smoother.

Hope this helps!
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I tried the Depo shot and IT WAS AWFUL! Not only did it affect my weight, but it even affected my moods. I was a crazy, hormonal lady on it! I only gained a couple lbs because I knew what it was doing to my body and I only had 2 shots and called it quits. I also had 2 other friends who quit on it because they were gaining weight and bleeding more than usual.

Udder butter is good for dry skin, but it doesn't really have a smell. It really is like a butter. You just slather it on. A few months ago I bought a hand trio from Mary Kay and it consists of Extra Emollient...you use that first. It's a really thick lotion/gel you rub all over your hands. Then you use the hand scrub....it exfoliates all over your hands. Then you wash it off and use the hand cream. You do that once a night and it makes your hands really soft! It is called the Satin Hands collection. HTH!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I put off trying Lubriderm until the PICC team here at the hospital had some extra bottles of it laying around, I tried it, and I'm hooked.

Depo will impede weight loss, I hear. I don't have that problem -- I'm neutered!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    When I worked in the health and beauty dept. at a local store, my hands werre always rough and dry from opening the cardboard boxes, and from the dust on the shelves and products. It doesn't really have a smell, but corn huskers lotion works wonders. I used it on my feet too, soft, touchable toesies! I would imagine that if you bought something that didn't have a smell, you could add essential oils (I've got a couple of them, picked them up at bath & body works. Then you could add what scent you like, and make it as strong as you like. I dribble my oils into the bath...mmmmm
  • ticky
    ticky Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've never used the shot, but a couple of my girlfriends have. They both giained between 10-20 pounds. Granted, they aren't into exercize and probably don't keep a close eye on what they eat.
  • Kriser_MT
    Options
    A really good moisturizer is Vanicream. It doesn't smell, but then again fragrance is not all that great for your skin. It can dry your skin out if you are senitive. I buy mine from the Dermatology Office where I work however, I believe you can also get it online. It's thick, but it's a great body moisturizer. :)
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Husband neutered so no birth control here, not to mention BC always made me crazy with mood swings and acne so condoms were usually the only bc we did use.

Next, lotions contain alcohol so don't buy lotion. The alcohol is used to thin the cream out so it "feels light" but if you have truly dry skin issues you should avoid those labeled lotion.

My son and I both have sensitive skin and he had a skin problem a few years ago and the dermatologist recommended using creams. They are thicker and you don't need as much to do the job. My favorite is cetaphil moisturizing cream. It is unscented so no nasty perfumy smells. Creams are most often sold in the little tubs or jars, rarely can you find one in a pump bottle. They are more expensive, but like I said they last a long time because a little goes a long way. There are other brands, this just happens to be my fav. Costco sells a large tub for 9.99, target and walmart have a slightly smaller one for about $12 per tub for the cetaphil.

:happy:
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I tried the Depo shot and IT WAS AWFUL! Not only did it affect my weight, but it even affected my moods. I was a crazy, hormonal lady on it! I only gained a couple lbs because I knew what it was doing to my body and I only had 2 shots and called it quits. I also had 2 other friends who quit on it because they were gaining weight and bleeding more than usual.
  • allaboutme
    Options
    was trying to say me too. :laugh:
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I was on Depo-Provera for 14 years. I didn't have any problems with it; not with my weight, and not with my moods. As a matter of fact, I shrunk to my smallest size ever while on the shot. I also enjoyed not having my period. I'm miserable off it, but I would like to get pregnant in the near future.

As for lotion, I love Palmer's cocoa butter. Great stuff.

J. Coleman, MD
  • allaboutme
    Options
    lunglady, I heard depo can be hard on your bones being it on it that long? any truth in that?
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I was on Depo for a few years, I loved it! I didn't have a problem with weight, and once my body adjusted to it, I never had a cycle! I got off of it when I got married. It was better for me then taking a pill everyday! I just had my second child, and I plan on trying Mirena, It lasts for 5yrs. As far as moods go, I've always been on anti depressants anyway, so I cant really say if that was an issue! My dr told me that the weight gain issue with Depo was no different then the pills. If your are prone to gaining weight, then you would on either. Good luck
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I dont use birth control, but I love the Lubriderm for sensitive skin, can use all over even on face. :bigsmile:
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your answers! I may have to head to the store after work and pick up one of the suggested moisturizers! :smile: I've actually been using a lotion from Victoria's Secret . . . mostly because of the smell and because it was a present. But, it's not doing much in the area of moisturizing! I use Johnson's Softlotion 24 Hour Moisturizer or Artistry Moisture Souffle for my hands while I'm at work, but I'm really not pleased with either of them. I'm just trying to use them up and not be wasteful. :indifferent:

And, I guess Depo effects people differently! I've been on it for about 6 years. I tried taking the pill once, but I couldn't keep up with it. I LOVE love love not having a period . . . but I was just wondering if it has made me gain weight. I can't really tell because I have gained a lot of weight over the past year and a half, but my eating and exercise habits were down the toilet anyway. :angry: The boyfriend and I were constantly on the go and always grabbed fastfood or ate in restaurants. Bad idea! :noway:

Anyway, thanks again for all the replies. :flowerforyou: I have some thinking to do . . . :huh: :laugh:
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options

My daughter was taking the shot for birth comtrol and gained about 10 pds, i guess it is better than being pregnant, she quit taking it now, so has my sister,,far as moisturizer, if u put A and D on ur hands and wear mitten or gloves for a hour a day or over nite it does wonder to ur hands and skin,, other wise i use jergens it is awesome and not badly priced.
  • laird20k
    laird20k Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    No help with the Birth Control shot, I actually just went off the pill (I forgot how much real cramps hurt, that first period was awful!!)

For the dry skin patches, I get little dry skin patches all over during the winter. I couldnt get rid of them with lotion so my Dr. prescribed Diprosalic ointment. I had a dry patch for a couple weeks and finally remembered to put this on before I went to sleep a few nights ago. When I woke up the dry patch was completely gone. The ointment isn't very expensive, I think it was like $7 for a 15 gram tube (it's bigger than other ointments i've gotten).
  • heyjuede
    heyjuede Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    omg, the shot made me feel like a crazy lady most days lol. however, unlike the normal weight gain issues, i lost quite a bit on it. mainly because it made me sicker than a dog! then when i stopped it i found out it screwed my ovulation as well.

as for lotion, i agree, lubriderm works well for me and my father. our hands get so chapped and cracked during the winter.

good luck with things :)
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    A really good moisturizer is Vanicream. It doesn't smell, but then again fragrance is not all that great for your skin. It can dry your skin out if you are senitive. I buy mine from the Dermatology Office where I work however, I believe you can also get it online. It's thick, but it's a great body moisturizer. :)

I forgot all about vanicream! I have a friend who has a condition where her skin doesn't produce any oil, she doesn't sweat like normal people or anything. Imagine psoriasis (sp?) all over your body 24/7, 365 days a year. When she was a kid, she used to have to go get tar treatments, where they would put hot tar all over her and wrap her like a mummy. I couldn't imagine, ugh! Anyways, her doctors had her use vanicream, and because it's very clean and pure, she could use it on her face as well...
  • yesIcan
    yesIcan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I was on Depo Provera for about three years. I loved it and didn't find it affected my weight in anyway. My doctor however advised to get off of it because apparently when used longer than five years its been proven to significantly decrease bone density and increases the likely hood of developing oseoporosis.

My favourite lotion for hands is Mary Kay, satin hands. It's the best. It works right away and its just beautiful. Also i find vaseline intensive care works well, especially if you need to wash your hands frequently, or I also really like aveno.