How do you feel after interval training (HIIT)?

Options
I am new to interval training, just now at 41 learning about it. Added MFP and calorie counting to my program a few weeks ago.

I have always been a conditioned distance person. Last night was my 3rd interval training workout, based on the iphone "seconds" app. I warmed up 10 minute and did 6 - 30 second intervals at 9mph, with 1 minute 5.1mph in between, then cool down. Today I am feeling off, congested, bloaty, fatigued, not hungry... Just overall physically lethargic but not mentally fatigued. Am I pushing the workouts too hard? Missing out on nutrients? Or can I imagine little pac mans eating up my fat stores??? Please say yes on that one, lol.

Replies

• yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I feel like puking just after but I feel ok the day after. Is it possible that you have a virus that has nothing to do with training?
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I actually have felt like this before too. HIIT takes a lot out of me, so I just assumed it was that... I beefed up on my vitamins and keep going. The key to HIIT is to perservere.
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hi

Great that you are exploring your boundaries exercise wise :happy:

When I started with my personal trainer (who does a lot of interval training with me) I felt like I was going to die when I finished for the first few sessions :sick:

With time I got fitter and now I really love the regime because it's made it easier for me to do my regular training.

Hopefully you aren't just feeling ill for other reasons but I'd stick with it and see if you feel better after about a month of training. Of course if you really are exhausted maybe you could take it just a little bit easy.

I love the thought of little pac men eating up my fat stores. Can I have some of those please? :laugh:
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. The feeling does mimic coming down with a virus sort of, but I don't think so. More like the muscle fibers that I didn't know existed are becoming conditioned. Particularly in the abs. If it happens again, I will take it down a notch. Pac Man!
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Great news!!!! I just measured, and I lost 1/2 inch on my waist, hips, thigh, and .25 inches on my calf!!!!!! yippee!